‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Food

The front door of our house leads right into the kitchen. Even if it didn't, most people come here by way of the kitchen. It's not that we're great cooks. But we love to feed people. And we love to eat. And we always eat better when there's company (it gets boring to cook for ourselves day in and day out) so we invite people over a lot.

I do have a rule about who gets invited, though. I read somewhere that you can either spend your time getting your house ready for guests or you can spend your time having guests. So I don't invite people who are likely to talk smack about us for having a messy house.

We eat a lot of things I had never heard of as a child. My kids are particularly adventurous and have made me expand my tofu repertoire. They'll eat it straight out of the tub, which I find vile. My nephew, who does not eat like us but who we love to bits anyway, has come to stay with us the last two summers. I finally figured out that he doesn't like his food mixed up. Sad for him, since we eat nearly everything out of bowls. He's coming to appreciate his weird relatives and we are going easier on him with our menu choices. Wait till he tries my new spelt recipe.....

Favorite Cookbooks of the Hour:
Three Bowls by Seppo Ed Farrey (there is apparently another cookbook by the same name, which would make 6 bowls.)
Moosewood Celebrates
Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

No comments: