‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Sunflowers

Last night our friends Steve and Sarah came over for dinner.

Sarah brought us sunflowers she had planted in one of those little trays where you can break apart the pots and plant the whole thing. I asked what I should do with them and she told me to put them in a sunny window. She didn't realize I needed more guidance than that and I am too embarrassed to tell her as we're still in the sort of new friend phase. She is a gardener and I am afraid she will fire me as a friend once she learns the truth.

After dinner I tried to get as much gardening information out of Sarah as I could - while trying not to appear like I was taking advantage. Where is the line between after dinner chat and a consultation for which I should be billed? There is a fig tree in our future. She also suggested espaliering a pear tree, but I can barely spell it, much less do it. Meanwhile, Chris and Steve were discussing the application of different alternative energy techniques. I think Chris was doing the same thing I was.

This morning I put the tray of sunflowers in an asparagus serving bowl (made by another friend and used more than one might think) and set it in our front window. I figured it should be watered, but it seems so delicate..... I watered it through a tea infuser. I may at some point invest in a spray bottle.

I am praying that I don't kill the sunflowers, as it will be sad not to see Steve and Sarah all summer while I make excuses as to why they can't come over.

Dinner: seared tuna with soba noodles, and mixed greens with sugared pecans, blue cheese and dried cranberries. I also made my knock-off of the spinach, jalapeno, feta dip they used to serve at City Spirit in Denver. And plum upside-down cake.

No comments: