‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Schoolhouse Rock


This is Lucy with Aaron & Mickey (aka Gene & Dean Ween). It is surprisingly relevant to this post. Stay with me.

I am of the generation that can come up with the Preamble to the United States Constitution off the top of my head - but I have to sing it. We are the "Conjunction Junction, what's your function" generation. Thanks to Schoolhouse Rock, I can count by 3's. I liked the Schoolhouse Rock bits probably as much as the hours of Scooby Doo and bowls of Captain Crunch that surrounded them.

So then I became a music junky. Bought albums with all my babysitting money. Watched those 12 videos over and over again when MTV first started. Over the years I've become a fan of bands like the Lemonheads, Buffalo Tom, Ween and Moby.

Now I have kids and I am not all that interested in cds featuring The Wheels on the Bus. We've found many palatable alternatives. Our criteria is that you don't realize right away you are listening to kids music. Included in this genre - the palatable kids music genre - is the remake of Schoolhouse Rock. There are bands like the Lemonheads, Buffalo Tom, Moby, and yes, Ween. The cd has finally joined our collection and completes some sort of cycle - like the ghost of Saturday Mornings Past, Present and Future all eating Captain Crunch together.

Incidentally, the original recording is no slouch with the likes of Blossom Dearie and Bob Dorough.

Other finds:
Dan Zanes (you know, Del Fuegos frontman)
Ralph's World
They Might Be Giants (yep, they have kid cds. They're not that much different from their other ones)
The Roches - esp. Little Bitty Betty
NRBQ - esp. Spider
Buckwheat Zydeco
all those Putumayo Playground collections

I'd love to get your suggestions for more.

Editorial confession: We never had Captain Crunch as kids. My sister and I would put Nestle's Quik on our Rice Krispies and pretend they were Cocoa Puffs. We had a somewhat deprived upbringing.

No comments: