‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Friday, May 25, 2007

and now figs

Last night when Sarah came to pick up the baby she glanced across my livingroom and said "are those your sunflowers?"

It is high time for us to kick them out of the house. They must go forth and multiply, or build themselves homes of straw, sticks and brick or something. Because they're huge.

"The chickens ate ours," she tells me. "I have one left and it keeps wilting."

I am beside myself with pride.

But enough about last night. Today I spent the day battening down the hatches. I don't like crowds and a holiday weekend is upon us. I restocked the fridge and pantry, picked up drycleaning, bought a sunhat for Studley and flip flops for Lucy, had some pants hemmed, and stopped by Sarah's to gloat let the kids run in the sprinklers.

Before I left she gave me a small fig tree, grown from a cutting. I think it is safe to say we are now friends.

So I really could have ended the day right there, but then I would have missed the woman with seed packets pinned all over herself.

You see, we had been invited to a yoga/healing arts studio's grand opening. We made every effort to get there because a) our friend teaches there and b) we heard there would be sushi. I don't know what the flower packet thing was about. Perhaps she was incarnating fertility and abundance as an offering to the studio and its prosperity.

I thought I did pretty well finding a batiked tunic to wear.

It's a beautiful studio and certainly worthy of some opening day hoop-la. There was even someone doing a documentary or some such something about it. He was pointed out to me just as he trained his camera on Studley, who was making snow angels on the floor. No one seemed to mind, as stepping over a small child is part of their yogic practice. The studio, now that I think about it, is an interesting mix. The space is very cosmopolitan - clean lines, gorgeous floors, almost gallery-like in presentation - and the people working there seemed like they'd be perfectly content in a yurt. So which is it?

I actually like the mix - I want my surroundings to be gorgeous and well-appointed. And I want my teachers and massage therapists to be unimpressed with things material. Is this so much to ask?

I would also like more documentaries made of events I've attended. Then I can find out exactly what it is I went to.

No comments: