‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Have I got an answer for you

Two people asked me parenting questions today.

I was actually kidding in an earlier post when I said I was going to start dishing out advice, since I don't have any more idea about raising kids than I do chickens or broccoli.

But I don't have anything else to write about, so I'm going to run with it.

First of all my Colorado friend Erica called me from her kitchen where she was enjoying possibly her last quiet cup of coffee. She is due soon. She was wondering if when the baby comes there's some sort of brain chemical that kicks in, making you love the baby more than your personal space, uninterrupted sleep, barf-free clothing, intelligent conversation and all those other things you can forget about.

I have no idea.

Because I dig my kids. But I also miss going out to brunch and then going back to bed. Or making coffee and taking it back to bed. Or just staying in bed in the first place. So Erica, good luck with that.

Same day, different conversation. I am asked by a near perfect stranger how I manage to give my kids a nutritious dinner and get them to bed by 7. Do I have a system? Do I feed them prepared foods?

My kids are always fed, bathed and in bed by 7. I do this for me, not them. I will be putting them to bed at 7 when they are in High School.

I don't generally do prepared food because I like to cook. I was in a rush tonight so I was tempted with Annie's Mac & Cheese, but I had just told someone I made delicious nutritious meals every night, so I felt sort of obligated to at least try.

I made fried rice in about 18 seconds. I stir fried some broccoli slaw from Trader Joe's (if that qualifies as prepared food then, well, never mind), added sesame oil and soy sauce. What? You have no sesame oil? So get over it and use something else. Scramble an egg in the pan with the veggies, add the old rice still in the rice cooker from last night, toss to mix, serve with a dash of gomasio. What? You have no gomasio? Shame on you. Every kitchen needs gomasio. It's like having at least one really perfect lipstick.

Lucy's pretty good at cracking eggs and aiming them for a bowl, so she helped with that. This has the added benefit of her actually eating it, since she will eat nearly anything she made herself (except the peanut butter tomato sandwich).

We have it on good authority (a doctor Chris works for) that rice stays perfectly edible in a rice cooker on the "keep warm" setting for days. We generally keep it for three or four until throwing it out, still untouched. But it's a nice option.

I don't actually eat the fried rice myself. After the kids were safely tucked in I made a second dinner and invited a friend over.

And now she is gone and I'm making myself a cup of tea. My cup of tea and I will then go to bed and sit in the dark listening to the wind in the trees until I, at last tired of doing absolutely nothing, will go to sleep.

3 comments:

Love Monkey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Love Monkey said...

Sorry - had a typo!!

first of all - I think if you can raise chickens and grow brocolli you can raise a couple of younguns.

Secondly - I too put my kids to bed as early as I could get away with. I liked the night to myself while the night was still young.

Thirdly - I think you should try out to be the next Food Network Star!!!! Your show can be called "Get em fed and into bed in 30 minutes or less!"

Susan said...

Oooh, I would LOVE to be a Food Network Star! I will discard my new career of advice columnist immediately!