‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Musicals, part deux

I try not to go to musicals. I have previously addressed the myriad ways in which I do not enjoy them.

I do not like them in a box, I will not sing them with a fox.
I won't buy tickets here or there I do not like them anywhere.

Yes, I just came from Seussical, the Musical.

Not only that, I just came from the kids' version.

Granted, they were a bunch of kids who study musical theater seriously (is that possible?) and who had voices that were not difficult to listen to.

They were probably all great, but the Cat in the Hat was so completely head and shoulders above the rest of the cast I couldn't concentrate very well on anyone else. He was fluid and flamboyant. There were times when it was hard to tell if he was a benevolent trickster or something more Faustian. It kept reminding me of The Master and Margarita. A little eerie for a 13 year old.

Yes, I kept forgetting that he was 13. He had an awful lot of stage presence for someone who's 5'4". He was particularly good at staying in character when he was not in the spotlight and he did everything with a Cabaret-style flourish.

He has obviously seen a lot of musicals.

The parts of Gertrude McFuzz and Horton were also well done. But the Cat totally rocked.

And I'm not just saying that because he's my nephew.

So it will probably come to pass that my nephew will win a Tony for something on down the line and I'll get to go and I'll have some kind of late-life transformation in which I completely deny this aspect of myself (the musical-loathing one) which is so essential to my very being. And I will sit there quietly weeping with pride and joy and then smile until my face hurts.

Tonight I was just practicing.

You know, just in case he lets me go to some fancy award thing with him sometime.

No comments: