‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

out of the office

When I first started working from home, I took great pains to not let anyone know I was working from home.

That was four years ago. Today I delivered media kits to a publisher while my kids sang The Ants Go Marching One by One at the top of their lungs in the car. The cat is out of the bag.

The thing is, the longer I work from home the more I realize that there are lots of us pretending we're in an office when we answer the phone (when actually we're making a pb&j).

I know this because we keep ending up at the beach together.

Today the kids and I went to Pilgrim Lake, where we interrupted a couple teenagers kissing on the lifeguard stand. Actually, we didn't interrupt them. That would imply that they stopped. They did eventually leave, though, and then we were all alone.

All alone at a public pond in June. How can this be?

We listened to the bullfrogs and the redwing blackbirds. We watched turtles and stalked fish. Lucy swam and Studley excavated the beach, forming an island just off shore.

I thought about the teenagers. Did we scare them? Are we a walking Health Class Movie? After School Special?

I imagine that they live or are vacationing near the lake. What a completely perfect setting for a summer romance. I hope they remember it forever.

Next time maybe I'll give them some space.

No comments: