‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Monday, June 4, 2007

Liz Kinder

This morning I gift wrapped one of Liz Kinder's bowls so I could send it out into the world, making it a happier place. And making someone like me more. I always like to include info about the artist, so I pulled a handful of little cards out of her file. And then I couldn't decide what to put in. These are a few of my favorites.

Liz Kinder's artist cards:

My dad cannot believe I'm a potter. Neither can I, really. When he sees how much I produce he tells me I'm my "own little third world country."

It's sort of endearing.

Do you think that people might find that offensive? I never know anymore.

***

You might be thinking that while I was making this piece of pottery I was listening to something classy - the Bach B Minor Mass - or something edgy like Radiohead. I hate to break it to you, but I was probably listening to NPR, cursing at Terry Gross,
or worse.... grooving to "The Ultimate Air Supply"

***

I wonder if the fact that you're buying my pottery is any indication that you are also someone who gets depressed every time you walk into IKEA.

***

Signing "Liz Kinder, etc."

Perhaps the time would be better spent shampooing my hair.

I spend an hour every morning writing on the bottom of my pottery. My mom was visiting; we shopped. I took off my hat and, in the middle of the store she shrieked, "When was the last time YOU WASHED YOUR HAIR?"

I didn't know.

***

You're thinking that this card is going to say that this piece of pottery was made with loving hands by some underprivileged person.

I don't want to disappoint, but it was actually made by an overeducated girl in Philly who will probably blow the money on some ridiculously over-priced moisturizing product.

No comments: