‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Friday, July 13, 2007

Daisy Crockett, Frontiersperson!

Last night we took the kids to see "Daisy Crockett, Frontiersperson!" at WHAT. It was press night, so there was just a smattering of obligatory children. They announced a reception at the Wicked Oyster afterwards, which was clearly aimed at wooing the press and not us. We did not go.

Because I am not the press. But just you wait, because word will get out about how much free publicity I give and venues will be BEGGING me to come. And with that in mind, here is my review.

First of all, I have to admit that growing up in Colorado I developed a healthy loathing of westerns, the Wild West, and everything I learned in the 4th grade during the segment on The Western Expansion (although the salt clay topo-map of the state was sort of neat).

I don't know why this is. My friend who grew up in Wyoming is totally in to all that. She even had rodeo-themed baby shower invitations. Very cute. I believe my baby shower invitations had the east facade of the museum of modern art.

So it is with trepidation that I sat through a play - a children's play, no less - titled "Daisy Crockett, Frontiersperson!". But very quickly I remembered that I am fond of the Beverly Hillbillies. And I also remembered that Stephen Russell, who wrote the play, is a very funny individual. There were a lot of lines that sailed over the heads of the shorter crowd - not unlike those old Bugs Bunny cartoons. I liked that the band members frequently left their instruments, scurried around back and appeared on stage. I especially liked the 6-foot-something bass player who doubled as Davy Crockett's mother.

Here are two of my favorite bios from the program:

Elliot Gallagher (Band, Friendly Indian) has played the violin for 9 years, the ukulele for 10 months and the fiddle for two weeks. This is his first play ever. He enjoys quiet music, candlelight dinners, and long walks on the beach.

Holly McCarthy (Eleanor [the spoiled starlet]) is pleased as punch to be returning for a 3rd season with W4K (WHAT for Kids). In addition to a BA in acting, Holly also has a cat named Beans. She'd like to thank Stephen for the opportunity to play herself onstage, and she reminds the cast to leap whenever possible.

Chris had to leave early. Wracked with curiosity, he asked Lucy first thing this morning how it ended. "Everyone came back on stage and bowed!" she said. She also told him that she liked the part when the pirate wore the chicken costume. She has absolutely no idea what the play was about, but she enjoyed it immensely. And Studley stayed awake.

We all can't wait for their next production, "Jack! A Rock 'n' Roll Fairy Tale", in December. Because we like play titles with exclamation points.

I'm sure I'll be invited as press.

No comments: