‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

holy moly matrimony

I think some friends of ours are getting married.

We were out to dinner with them awhile back and I keep thinking about our conversation and how I got all squiggly inside when I looked at them. I can't run this by anyone else because that would be Gossipy and I don't want to be the person who says "I KNEW IT! SEE? SEE? I KNEW IT!" I want to be the person who makes the cut for the wedding.

Since we ourselves have gone through the slash and burn process of editing a guest list, we appreciate how hard it is to make the cut. Invited guests are like rabbits. If you invite Jo then you have to invite Meg, Amy and ... oh heck I can never remember that last one. Beth?

So now, just in case I'm right, I have to be extra nice to them and invite them to all our parties (starting with the Coop Warming and moving right on through to the Croquet Invitational) and become completely indispensable. I love weddings.

But now that I think about it, they are more the eloping sort.

So not only do I have to ingratiate myself, I need to start a fund so that I can fly my family of 4 plus a nanny to Destination X because you need a witness even if you elope.

I have a lot of work to do.

I don't know why this is so thrilling to me. It's not that I don't like them the way they are now. I don't have strong feelings about Till Death Do Us Part. And many couples are totally committed without ever making their friends shell out the big bucks for a chiffon dress and prom hair.

But there's something giddiness-inducing about engagements.

Just yesterday I met another friend's fiancée. For reasons I cannot fathom, I was all hot and bothered about getting to know her. I think on several occasions I just walked up and stood there smiling at her.

I am pretty sure they'll have a blow out bash, so it wasn't just an effort to kiss up to the Maker of the Guest List. I don't think.

Maybe I just wanted a little bit of that euphoria. Maybe I just wanted to be around people who had figured out how to be happy.

Maybe I really do just want to be on the guest list.

No comments: