‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Sunday, July 22, 2007

preparations

The last time I bought new towels for a house guest she went home, quit her job, drove across the country and moved in with me. I have friends coming tomorrow and there's a house for sale down the street, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I think I wrote about this phenomenon awhile back, where I panic, run around in circles and shriek "they're coming" until everyone else panics and cleans up. I call it housekeeping.

Heather excavated the guestroom.

Chris minimized the scrap heap in the back yard.

I went shopping for towels.

In my defense, I have also done about 97 loads of laundry. I have sought and found the maternity clothes I've been saving for my friend who will be moving in down the street if all goes well. I have stocked the refrigerator and I have not eaten straight out of a single container - although the lemon sorbet will be history before they get here.

Lucy and Studley cleaned their own darn room. I got them new towels, too, as a little "thank you" even though they already live here.

And I lined up an 8 year old babysitter to watch the kids once a week. Okay, I think that's illegal. But while I was dawdling this morning, chatting with some friends while our kids played, I asked them when their daughter would be of babysitting age. Because she already takes very good care of them. As it turns out, they are looking for a place for her to go once a week, and I'm looking for someone to keep them company once a week while I get some work done in the next room. And since I am paying her in fruit strips and cheese crackers, I don't think it's considered child labor.

So I come home and tell Chris about it and I also mention that we talked about someone who is so uptight they alphabetized their spice rack. Can you imagine?

"You used to do that," he claims.
"Did not."
"Yes, you did. Alphabetically, from left to right."

Oh dear, it's true. But I am not sure what to do with this memory. Do I shake my head in disbelief at the hardened spice-sorter I used to be, or do I mourn the loss of my organized alter-ego?

It kind of makes me want to go fold some laundry.

3 comments:

Fred said...

alphabetized spices? then how do you get parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme all in a row (or column, as they are here at chez valet)?

Love Monkey said...

you'll be that organized again - we all come back to that eventually

Susan said...

Fred - Right you are! I should obviously be sorting by region or musical reference or genome. Maybe I have done that and I just need to figure out the criteria I'm using.

LM - this is good news. I might take notes so I remember my former self.