‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

my birthday bash

So first I was going to be all adult-like and not mention my birthday at all. And then the cheesemaking thing came and I had to bring it up. So then I thought, well, I'll just not mention the actual date - you know, all coy - like it doesn't really matter when my birthday is. I'm an adult and adults need to get over the thought that they get one day a year that is unquestionably and unreservedly about them.

But I do think there should be one.

And I also didn't realize that IFAW was planning such a nice birthday bash for me! Thank you, IFAW! I'm sure it's because I stuck their banner on my blog (see- there it is!) and this is their way of saying thank you.

Not to be petty, but I wish they hadn't called my party WhaleFest.

So there it is. My birthday is today and I went to WhaleFest. There were a few people I knew playing (you rock!), so we were in and out of the tent all day - taking breaks from the concert to get a tattoo or do some crafts or have our faces painted like fish. And there was food - because IFAW knows how I love to eat sample snacks for dinner. Vegan spinach ravioli! IFAW had Dan'l Webster Inn bust out the vegan stuff just for me. IFAW also invited all these environmentally friendly organizations because they know I have chickens and that I take my own bags to Trader Joe's and I am on the verge of reading that Kingsolver book I mentioned yesterday. I am very Sustainable these days.

I also had to mention that it's my birthday because I heard the phrase "when you get to be my age...." repeatedly this afternoon. It came from my 8 year old babysitter. Which made me think about the whole age thing. Age is a question for Quantum Physics, because it just doesn't make any sense. Seriously.

But now back to me. Just after we got Studley's tattoo (your eyesight isn't failing, it's out of focus), I heard a song I recognized coming from the tent. The song was on a demo I received when I was working on a project a couple years ago. The band is from western Mass via the Bahamas, which means that the odds of seeing them at WhaleFest on Cape Cod are pretty slim. And yet. So after their set I went and introduced myself. It's Andrew Jones (in case such things interest you). If you click that link, listen to "Dr. Man". They gave me a cd, which counts as a birthday present.

Richie Havens and Arlo Guthrie were headlining, but by the time Richie came on the stage Studley had laid his little self down on the gravel to take a nap and I figured I better get them out of there. Besides, I was hot and tired and needed a water that wasn't $6.50. I did hear Richie Havens sing All Along the Watchtower, so that has to count for something.

Oh, on my way out of the house this afternoon I grabbed a couple sweatshirts for the kids - in case it got chilly. Fortunately I looked at one I grabbed and decided not to take it:

1 comment:

hazelblackberry said...

Happy (belated) birthday.