‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

singing cheesey songs where no one can hear you

You know that dream where you're flying? And everything's quiet and the water's way down below you and all you can hear is the waves and you suddenly feel completely peaceful? And even though you don't necessarily get along well with heights you find yourself looking straight down without throwing up? Because it's a dream, and everything in dreams is, well, dreamy.

It may have looked like this:


That's the mainland over there in the middle - that really skinny strip of inky blue between the water and the sky - as seen from Cape Cod Bay by way of parasail. If you look the other way, you can see the bay, the cape and the ocean. It's like a saltwater sandwich. With sand in the middle.

This all thanks to my desire to be The Coolest Person Ever in the eyes of a 14 year old. I have no idea what to do with my nephew next year, as I absolutely cannot top parasailing. Maybe we'll just do it again.

I thought it would be exhilarating, but it's really just peaceful up there. You don't feel like you're going to plummet the 400 or so feet into the ocean. I think my blood pressure dropped. I can now be the calm, friendly person I saw in a tv commercial once. Anyway, I actually wept a bit, I was so happy. And then I sang the theme to Born Free as loud as I could. Because you can do things like that when no one is likely to walk by and bust you.

I absolutely, positively can't wait to do it again. Maybe not the "Born Free" part.

From there we went to Spiritus for my ritual Chai Shake. I had also taken my nephew to the Spiritus in Hyannis for pizza, so he's been to two of them this trip. I think the plural is Spiriphim. He asked me if I had tried making them at home (they're just made with vanilla ice cream and Oregon Chai) but that's hardly the point, now isn't it? Besides, if I start making Chai shakes at home I will not be able to get airborne.

We ended the day at the harbor in the Big City. It was a day of harbors. Is there anything better than a harbor? Oh I do love them so. They have all the "ooooh! we're going somewhere"ness of an airport, but they're not smelly. Okay, yeah, they're smelly. But they're sort of charmingly smelly.

Anyway, Earth Junior was playing the Tuesday night concert series at the harbor. At the end of the show there was a rainbow behind the stage, across the water. No kidding.

2 comments:

Sturdy Girl said...

oh you are so lucky!!!

Susan said...

You just have to go! I'll go with you! I think they're doing it into the fall.