‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Sunday, September 16, 2007

boogie by the bay

Another weekend down, another 2 birthday parties behind me. From our experience, Lucy will not say boo to a goose. Why is she so immensely popular, then? Her elusive nature? Her immaculately matched (if vertigo inducing) prints and plaids? It's a mystery.

Both birthday girls, and their moms, will be coming to Lucy's party. I like both moms, but one of them has a home that makes me Even More Nervous. Yes, she has a pool. I don't know why this concerns me. Everyone is different. I like that people have different lives and that their homes reflect those lives. I never go to someone's house and decide never to go back based on the fact that they have a woodstove in their driveway.

I think we probably all need to relax and let our lives speak for themselves (and stop letting our houses and our clothes and our cars do all the talking). Phew, I'm so glad we had this talk.

After today's birthday party we drove to Wellfleet for Boogie by the Bay. Chris hates that they called it that, I think it's kind of cute. There were a bunch of bands and food and it all benefited our community radio station, WOMR. Except that I personally did not benefit WOMR because when they were not sure if they could take my check I started name dropping like mad (in an effort to produce a guarantor) and finally they said something like "oh will you please shut up and just go IN already?!?" Okay, that's not at all like the people at WOMR. They said something like, "oh golly why don't you just go on in and then send a check to the station?" And I said I would and now I have to actually do it because it says I will on the internet and so it must be so.

Once you're in the door the real money starts to flow. They have all these booths where restaurants are offering one or two small dishes. Mac's had chicken curry with rice and beans, The Wicked Oyster had a beet salad with toasted goat cheese, Terra Luna had fish cakes with some kind of ridiculous slaw. I am so sorry, fine people at Terra Luna, but I did shots of the sauces you offered to go with the fish cakes (the chipotle was my favorite). Each item is $5 or so and the idea is that you go around sampling the day away. Which I did.

Everyone loves WOMR (Outermost Radio). It would be wrong not to and you would be unwise to admit it out loud. I like it for many reasons, not the least of which is that our neighbor dedicated a whole show to us the day we got married. It was early in the morning and we missed it (he never told us he was doing it). We hear it was great.

Meanwhile, x-number of years and two kids later....

We saw lots of families we know and like (we didn't see any we didn't like, for the record). Studley, who is living up to his name, was wooing the little girls. He is going to get into trouble later, for sure. He kissed one 9 month old baby, hugged another repeatedly, and helped a third little girl to take a few steps (he was staggering backwards, holding her until finally she collapsed on top of him, squashing him flat). So completely romantic.

I missed The Greenheads, who must have played while I was on the road. This is too bad because I've had their song Monkey Jones stuck in my head for the last week. I also missed Provincetown Jug Band, who I first heard several years ago at the Truro Dump Dance. Remind me to tell you about the Truro Dump Dance sometime.



8 comments:

Liz said...

Hello - you have a beautiful cranberry bog across the street! Anyone can have a cement lined hole in the ground...

JAbel said...

The Provincetown Jug Band is no more.Gino Haggerty passed away several years ago and though they get together on occasion they now play as"The Old Jugs" Tim Dickey still plays free concerts in the summer a few times in Truro and Wellfleet.Blessing of the Fleet weekend in P=Town is the best chance to catch them

Susan said...

JAbel- Aha, that explains a lot! And I believe Tim is playing a Christmas benefit in Orleans tonight (at the Jailhouse). See you there?

JAbel said...

I wish I could but I am in Los Angeles.From 77-81 my kitchen gang from Babes Rest saw the jugband just about every night of the summer at The Surfclub.They all became friends and I even had them play our frat house in Boston several times.Haven't seen any of them play in over ten years but Ed Sheridan the bass player sent me a nice vhs tape of Geno's memorial concert at the Surfclub.I'd love to see Tim break guitar strings tonight!!

JAbel said...

I hate to keep bothering you but I just noticed the poster listing the Provincetown Jug Band.So I emailed Ed tonight and asked him why they are using that name again instead of last years Old Jugs.Ed came in when Joe Bones left in the early 8o's.But they both appear with them now and then.

Susan said...

JAbel - Bothering me? Are you kidding? Unfortunately, as you have found out for yourself, I am not an authority on much of anything - including but not restricted to the Provincetown Jug Band. My guess is they figured "if the Wailers can tour without Bob Marley...." I have only seen the Provincetown Jug Band a few times - and possibly less than that as some of those shows may have been Old Jugs - but they have all been great times in great locations.

BTW, tonight we are up to our ears in snow.

JAbel said...

ou are correct as it turns out.Ed said the date was switched to Sunday from Sat. meaning he and Joe Bones could not show so it was Tim and some guys playing as the Jug Band.Ed's not sure why the Jug Band name was used.It's sort of like the grateful dead not using that name after Garcia died.I think I only saw snow that stuck on the cape one winter when I spent a lot of time there.But I grew up in Roch,N.Y. where it snows and snows and snows.Enjoy the white stuff!

JAbel said...

You are right on the mark also cause when I first moved out to L.A. in the early 80's my friend was a creative director at EMI records and they signed Ziggy Marley and his bros and sisters.The first show I saw in L.A. was Ziggy fronting the Wailers and he was so much like his father it was spooky!