‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, September 29, 2007

from Walden Pond to the woods of Wellfleet

I spent today at a meeting in Concord - home of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau and Louisa May Alcott. It is also one of the cutest towns in New England history, with some very lovely shops in the town center. I know this because we were given a two hour lunch break and I can do a lot of shopping in two hours (after I spent $17 on a chicken salad wrap and an iced tea. Totally worth it because it was at the Colonial Inn and we ate outside in the September sun).

At my meeting I met a woman from Latvia who is married to a flute maker. Allegedly his flutes are some of the best in the world. I am not sure if she's saying that because she's his wife or if it's the other way around. She's a flutist (flautist?) so anything's possible. I liked her immediately because she a) thought I looked much younger than I am and b) suggested I looked a bit like Juliette Binoche. In all fairness, I liked her immediately even before she said that. She's been in this country for a year and I loved hearing her talk about her first impressions. She doesn't drive (she's from where they walk everywhere and have very efficient public transportation), so she can't very well come visit me on weekends. Perhaps we will be pen pals.

And then when I got home I discovered that my family was at a party so I grabbed some sweatshirts for everyone and joined them. The party was at a new house in Wellfleet, which we haven't seen since it was completed. When we were last there they had just put in the tubes for the radiant heat. The house is a post and beam, with pine walls and an open floorplan. Very spacious and well thought out and liveable. I wish I had gotten there before dark so I could have snooped more effectively.

They have a guesthouse with a large deck, and that's where the band set up. I say "band," but it was really a stage of revolving bands. By the time we left, the musicians from different bands were joining forces and playing covers of everything from Aerosmith to The Velvet Underground.

Their house (and a few others we've become acquainted with in the last year or so) reminds me of a book my dad had, Handmade Houses, by Art Boericke and Barry Shapiro. Very cool. These are homes that have so much character you almost have to get to know the houses in order to get to know the people who live there.

You know, there are some very cool people in this world.

3 comments:

Sturdy Girl said...

Concord is my very favorite town in Massachusetts. I worked downtown (right across from the Colonial Inn which was the company "watering hole.") there many many years ago and took the job for the location. Many lunch hours were spent walking the downtown area.

The Colonial Inn offers an afternoon tea. A writer friend and I met there about a year ago for tea on a rainy Sunday after a poetry reading by Marie Howe at the library.

It doesn't get much better than that.

Ambley said...

You know, you DO look a little like Juliette Binoche. It's so obvious once someone points it out. :)

Amber

Susan said...

Sturdy Girl- hey, we've hung out in the same hang out!
And oh I do love Afternoon Tea. It would be worth the drive.

Yes, Amber, I do look a bit like Juliette Binoche - in the sense that I look more like Juliette Binoche than, say, Queen Latifah or Kate Blanchett. Besides, most of the people reading this will never lay eyes on me. To those people I say, I look EXACTLY like Juliette Binoche.