‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Monday, September 24, 2007

little miss nosey gets herself into a pickle

So last night I was doodling around in blogland and I found this. I didn't have any idea what she was talking about, but whenever anyone asks me what I think they should make for dinner I just can't help but express an opinion. I always have an opinion about food.

So then she comments back on my own blog and judging from that comment I think I have commited myself to playing along with the "make something, photograph it and share the recipe" gig.

This is a problem because today is my day off. By "day off" I mean that I go to work while Chris stays home with the kids. I usually get home around 5:30, which is when I have to have dinner on the table so I can get the kids in bed by 7. I have to have the kids in bed by 7 because I have important things to do in the evening. Obviously.

So I was going to take a picture of my crock pot. I wouldn't take a picture of what comes out of the crock pot because it always looks disgusting. Unless you dish it up and put a nasturtium on the side, or maybe a baby octopus on top.

But then I didn't end up making something in the crock pot and on my way home from work I was thinking thinking thinking of something that would be photogenic yet fast. Besides my college roommate.

This is what I made:

It's just mixed greens with crumbled gorgonzola, dried cranberries, sugared pecans, slices of bosc pear and some shrimp to fancy it up a bit for the picture. I don't usually put the shrimp on.

But let me back up. I discovered on my way home that we were making a group family dinner and there would be scallops and salmon. Chris volunteered me to handle the salmon because I have the world's best salmon recipe.

Here it is:

Yes, that's the recipe, not the salmon. I think it originally came out of Cooking Light. The salmon was actually fairly photogenic but people were eating it before I could pick the nasturtiums.

Here's how you make it: Preheat oven to 400. Put 3T brown sugar, 1T soy sauce, 4t hot mustard and 1t rice vinegar in a small pan and bring to a boil so the sugar dissolves. Set aside. Line a jellyroll pan with foil, spray with oil and put your salmon on it. Salt & pepper if you wish. Bake for 12 minutes. Take it out, move oven rack to top and preheat broiler. Brush the sauce on the salmon and broil for three minutes.

This is the recipe that got my niece and nephew to eat fish. It is that good. I usually put my salmon on top of the salad. I happen to like meals that are in layers rather than sections. The rest of the family made scallops, rice and mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes rock my world.

As for the kids, we just fed them whatever was ready by 6 (scallops and rice) and then threw them in bed. Since she missed the salmon, I promised I'd put some in Lucy's lunchbox for tomorrow. She digs it.

It has since occurred to me that people MUST be photographing what they make on some other night and then posting it on Monday. You know, "ta da! I just whisked together this fab meal, photographed every stage, jotted down the recipe as I thought it up and my family set the table while I did it!"

In fact, it might all be photoshopped. Because I could make a pretty convincing dinner in Photoshop. Possibly in less time.

I'll do it right after I make Robin's Supreme Squash Casserole and eat the whole thing myself when no one is looking.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Susan...ha! Do you know how weird it is to read someone writing about you behind your back? I'm giggling even as I type this.

SO SORRY I presumed you were going to "Fun Monday" with us. By "us", I don't even know who I mean, lol, just whoever signs up. It's a very loose weekly meme, and each week a host volunteers and decides next week's them.

IF you'd like to join in next week, guess who's the hostess? Ummm, that would be me. If you wanna find out what the theme will be, check back with my blog tomorrow (as of 10:30 est, I haven't yet decided what it will be).

If you have any interest in having a few new bloggers read this post (which sounds DELICIOUS by the way--the salmon, not the post itself ;) ), here's the link to this week's host:

http://thefoodsnob.typepad.com/the_food_snob/

Thanks again for the laugh...hey...how did you find my blog in the first place??? (and, again, thanks for chiming in! You picked a winnah ;) ).

Susan said...

Robin- I'm just glad I got it posted before you checked back in! Serves me right for being so nosey on your blog.

I wish I knew how I found you. I'll be back to see what you come up with for next week.... Thanks for the invite!

Willowtree said...

Not everyone did as you suggest, I made mine on Monday and took photos as I went. But then my Monday is the day before yours.