‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Thursday, September 27, 2007

the view from here

I have never been much of a planner.

I have moved across the country 3 times with nothing but a place to sleep lined up at my destination. I have missed some flights and have slept in train stations and an airport. Once I went to Aspen with a couple friends to see a rugby match and ended up sleeping in my car - with the two friends. It was a Volkswagen Golf. We had to climb in and out of the sunroof.

My lack of planning pales in comparison to what I've married into. The day after our wedding, Chris and I drove north and found a place to honeymoon. It was beautiful and perfect in every way. Then we started a family in spite of the fact that our child would have to sleep in a wide spot in the hall. It is a very lovely wide spot.

Nothing really dramatic since then, just an everyday sense of "we'll see what today brings us." This serves us well, because often what the day brings is far more interesting than what we may have planned. Unexpected visitors, impromptu dinners, late night chats.

I never planned to live in a multi-generational house where the family tree branches are forked and lush and flowering. I thought I had left my days of living in a house with six other people behind me when I graduated from college. Did I plan this? No. Would I trade this? No.

I have always loved the idea of a town center where people meet, have coffee, catch up. Our home has become that town center (especially with the new deck!) and I can't believe how lucky I am.

Anyway, why am I going on about all this? Because I just read something that said Live Generously and I can't stop pondering the implications of such living. I am pretty sure it doesn't mean to Consume Generously. I think that the more you simplify the material aspects of your life, the more actual Living you can do. Sometimes we are so busy planning and outlining that we miss the generosity of Life itself.

So maybe a house overrun with family and chickens and Tomato Plants Gone Wild is not for everyone. But for me, right now, it feels like the most generous gift in the world. A gift I never could have planned.

No comments: