‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Thursday, September 6, 2007

we all have our limits

I finally met this woman who's been emailing me all summer. She is a friend of a friend and sufficiently like-minded for me to find myself on her mailing list. She offered a Healthy Family cooking class series this summer, which I did not participate in.

I didn't boycott it, I just didn't do it. I figured since I AM raising a healthy family and I know how to cook I could spend the money on something more beneficial and needed. Like an Eileen Fisher sweater.

The course is culminating in a dinner party next week. The menu for the evening will be...
Green Soup
Quinoa Tabouli
Sprouted Fallafel over Rubbed Kale
Chocolate Mousse Pie

Okay, so I thought I was a healthy eater. I am totally down with the chocolate mousse pie. But kale and I have never been on the same page and for reasons I can't explain I don't like parsley. I do like fallafel, but I am worried that sprouted fallafel will look and taste something like a chia pet. Not that I've ever eaten a chia pet.

I do not mention all of this to Her. I nod and smile and say things like "oooh, how lovely! I am sure it will be great!" Because I'm sure it will be great. I think.

And then we go our separate ways and as I have a bit of time before my next appointment I take the kids for a little snack. Except that I keep crossing paths with Her and I am suddenly very self-conscious about What Sort of Snack I had in mind. So I get the kids some wheat germ and fish oil crackers and ever-so-slyly throw in a Dancing Deer brownie for myself. Lucy is off playing, so it's just me and Studley and he, knowing something is amiss, keeps craning around to see what I am holding behind his stroller and, despite the fact that he has NEVER eaten such a thing, keeps shouting "Coooookie!!!! Coooookie!!!!!!!" I hold a healthy-looking cracker in one hand and stash my brownie wielding hand just out of sight , in case She walks by again.

Which she does. And her daughter calls over to Lucy and says "hey, mommy and I are getting popsicles!"

Busted.