‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

work work work

Chris is obviously afraid I will build our new patio out of silk flowers. He saw the pile of fairy wands this morning and headed straight to the lumber yard (after confiscating my hot glue gun). Not sure if we're getting a patio, a terrace or a deck. It's very low and made of wood. Will someone please help me out with the most highbrow term for such a structure? I don't want to jinx it, but it's just possible it will be done before.... no, I can't say it.

And after the party, I think I'll go out with a crowbar and personally remove our driveway. It might be sort of gratifying. I'll invite some friends to join me. In fact, that may be the theme for Studley's birthday! By George I think I've got it! We'll have a Super Studley Smash-a-Thon! You can take home a piece of Trout Towers (which will save me the trouble of assembling goody bags)! As usual, I am a genius.

I can't wait to design the invitation and send it to all of Studley's McMansion-dwelling friends. Oh, yeah. This is so much cooler than pony rides.

And from the botanical sector.... I had to transplant an unidentified plant from where the patio is going. There are more to come out, but I'll wait and see if I killed this one first. It is the start of the Garden Overhaul. And the mystery garden squash is definitely a pumpkin, but now the plant is dying and the pumpkin is still mostly green. What to do, what to do?

And here I was worried I'd run out of things to blog about. Stick with me now, my invisible internet friends, it's going to be a crazy winter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Piazza?

Liz said...

Stoa? meaning: usually a detached portico of considerable length, that is used as a promenade or meeting place. Ok, so it's not really covered but what the hey? I'm sure there will be promenading. I like "loggia" too.

Fred said...

Will it have a roof? If so, I'm quite fond of "lanai" I've decided that's the pretentious term I'm going to use to describe the new construction to be done on the back of my house (Harwich building inspector willing).

According to a few definitions I've found, "terrace" and "patio" seem to imply some sort of paving.

I'm seeing some definitions of "veranda" which say "usually roofed", which implies that it doesn't HAVE to be roofed to be a "veranda". I also read somewhere that in Georgia (US, not the former Soviet republic) porches are sometimes called "piazzas".

Sadly, for an uncovered, outdoor structure made of wood, the most descriptive term is probably "deck". From Wikipedia:
"In architecture, a deck is a flat surface capable of supporting weight, similar to a floor, but typically constructed outdoors, often elevated from the ground, and usually connected to a building. The term is a generalization of decks as found on ships."

Susan said...

Piazza - I like this (after I looked it up and discovered the "public square in an Italian town part). I have often wanted our garden to be like one of those squares, complete with espresso. And it would go with my Tuscan Zen decorating style. If that term becomes common, please remember who started it.

Stoa - There is definitely promenading to be done! I also like loggia (again, after I looked it up) - the theatrical implications are promising.

Lanai - I would love a lanai and will visit yours straight away. Ours has no roof. Veranda is lovely and would require rocking chairs, which we have. And there's that piazza again....

Deck is out of the question - too pedestrian (and not in a promenading sort of way)

Perhaps a naming party is in order.