‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Sunday, October 28, 2007

the sky is falling

So here's the deal. We got the chickens because, well, I thought it would be fun to have chickens. Or rather, I thought it would be fun to say "I have chickens." I also thought it would be kind of swell having fresh eggs. And I'm looking forward to the vegetables which will grow in the garden they are supposed to be fertilizing. It's one of those sustainability things - we feed the chickens, they lay eggs, they fertilize the garden and then we grow enough turbo-charged vegetables to feed a small country or the people in our house (whichever is larger at the time).

Problem one: we have not moved them into the garden because the raised beds are in the way.
Problem two: they're not laying.

It's not just our chickens that aren't laying. The people at the feed store report that no one's bringing extra eggs in to sell. And our friends who got chickens a little before us are also going hungry, waiting for their omelettes.

And so I must ask, is this a sign that the end of the world is near?

Because I kind of associate chickens with Mother Earth News. And when I used to pick up Mother Earth News I was always struck by how much information there was on surviving off the grid once all heck has broken loose and Trader Joe's is no longer carrying mochi balls. You know, ads for air tight buckets in which to keep your 5 year grain and bean supply. Bunker blueprints. Windowboxes for your bunker. Stuff like that.

So if the world is indeed ending, and the hens are not laying because of it.... well that just defeats the purpose of having them, now doesn't it? Except that it's still fun to tell people we have chickens.

It's also the season for those big windy storms that knock power lines down. Think how nice it would be to have eggs florentine by candlelight.

I still think it's a good idea, this chicken and egg thing. Every time I take that carbon footprint test I struggle with how to make less of a carbon crater while still driving 2 hours to attend the ballet.

I think I'll raise tilapia in my rain barrel.

3 comments:

thefoodsnob said...

I had to laugh about the power outage, I've lost power two Saturdays in a row (of course I was having a party this week!)
Does sound like an omen though, no eggs?!

Lisa

rain said...

Someday I'll tell you about how I lived in a cabin in the Yukon with no running water or electricity for 3 years (true story) but for now...maybe I could help by seeing if there are any articles about chickens and world endings at Starbucks when I'm getting my coffee on my way to work?

Susan said...

Lisa - oh dear, losing power already? Did you have eggs florentine? I am going to your blog right now to see how your party went. I love parties!

Rain - Let me know what you find out at Starbucks. If it looks bad, I'm coming to your house (with my chickens) since you obviously know how to fend for yourself. It doesn't matter that we are on opposite sides of two countries.