‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

a few of my favorite things

When Lucy was a baby we went to Vail and stayed in a condo for a week. I am here to tell you, if you have a family, stay in a condo. First, you can throw your stuff all over the place and still have room to move. Okay, that may be the only reason. But it's a darn good one.

It's also nice letting the kids eat cereal while I spend the morning in my pajamas, instead of getting everyone dressed before someone expires from starvation. I don't know what happens to them during the night, but those kids will bite you if they're not fed promptly.

This is my round-about way of making my excuses for where we are staying. Because it's ironic, really.

I'm sorry, I'm not ready to admit it yet.

But it's a lovely condo. We're in a part of the world that is in its shoulder season. Which means that not everything is open. And the things that are open? You can't tell that they're open because there are no cars around. We like it this way. Remember, where we live we have 2 months of shoulder season and 7 months of off season. Really, really off season.

We had planned on doing some hiking, so we were glad when they handed us a trail map at the front desk. We were not glad when they told us they had brightly colored vests we could borrow because, uh, well, it's hunting season. Suddenly I don't really feel like taking my two precious veal chops on a hike.

Fortunately, there's always shopping. And doing touristy things! We've been on a tour already and have two more planned. Since it is us, all the tours are food related.

I am sure there is a coffee shop nearby that will make me wish I lived here. I have visions of a little place with locally roasted beans and a devoted local clientele. I keep picturing how the Beanstock used to be (the coffee is still great, even though the coffee shop is gone).

The only way to find such a place is to ask someone who lives here. So I did. I said, "where would you go for coffee around here?" And she thought about it a minute, during which I figured there were just too many places and she was trying to figure out which one was closest. And then she said, "you could try the Mobil station - the coffee's usually pretty good there."

It is now my mission to find a good cup of non-gas-station coffee. I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Ooohh, yum! Coffee from the gas station! I love when you need a knife and fork for coffee!
(Sounds like a nice vacation spot, though!)