‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

handy around the house

Yesterday Lucy's slippers were sent home from school because a button had come off. I noticed them a little too late to run out and buy a new pair, so they were still sitting on the kitchen counter this morning. What was I to do? I couldn't just send them back the way they were. Her teachers would think I was a Bad And Irresponsible Parent. I couldn't send her without slippers - what would she wear at naptime? And yet, no one had repaired the button while we slept. I am not sure what I expected, but it never occurred to me that I would actually have to fix the darn thing.

It took me 20 minutes to find a needle. And then there was thread. And then there was finding the hole in the needle which has gotten smaller since I last used it. Also, the needle turns into two needles every time you get the thread near it and it's very hard to tell which one you're aiming at. Seriously. I don't need glasses, it's just a really tricky needle.

I am glad to report that the slippers didn't come back home today. I was afraid the button would pop off and hit someone in the eye. I knew I should have stapled it for extra security.

Now that I think about it, it probably DID pop off and hit someone in the eye. But rather than risk a repeat, the class most likely took up a collection and bought Lucy a new pair of slippers with their combined allowance. I hope they got a pair with no buttons.

No comments: