‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Sunday, November 11, 2007

the sky, as it turns out, is not falling

False alarm. Everyone come out of your bunkers. The end of the world is not nigh, as I previously had feared.

Chris went out and insulated the chicken coop this morning. I probably mentioned that Chris built our coop to resemble the Hirshhorn Museum, and I may have admitted that when I first saw it sitting in our yard I thought aliens had landed. Now it is wrapped in a shiny silver quilted blanket and looks more than ever like a spaceship. The chickens don't seem to mind. In fact, they gave us an egg. Which is why the world is not ending.

We took the egg, photographed it, showed it to the rest of the family, wrote some songs about it, boiled it and split it between 4 people. It was delicious.

It was also around $100.



I didn't tell you about it last night because we had no internet connection, which left us dazed and confused and looking at each other with "well now what do we do with our time?" looks. Chris suggested, as we sat on the couch together with our dueling laptops, that we at least network our two computers so we could play tic-tac-toe. On our laptops. On the couch.

I think our internet connection was down because I wore it out friday night - doing important things like searching for old Hogan's Heroes on youtube - until finally I was too tired to google and did my work. Eventually.

3 comments:

thefoodsnob said...

That must be similar to the $500.00 tomato! (A man wrote a book about how much it cost him to make a garden and grow tomatoes. $500.00 may be an exaggeration, but it was a lot!)

Lisa

Susan said...

We had a $500 tomato a couple years ago. This year it was much cheaper - I'd say in the $50-$60 range. It came with a free cucumber and a lifetime supply of parsley.

rain said...

Congratulations on your egg. May you have many more. Scrambled, sunny side up, over easy, all of them.