‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Keystone

When I worked at Keystone Ski Resort I experienced the worst boyfriend, the creepiest boss and the most dysfunctional finances of my life. And so I have to say that when a friend devotes an entire blog post to marching me down memory lane I feel.... wait a minute, why am I feeling all warm and fuzzy?

I don't know about everyone else, but I needed a little time after college to figure out what I was doing. In fact, I needed more than a little time but whatever. Keystone was my first experience living on my own and making my own way in the world (or not), and it will always be that place where I was permitted to discover life. It was kind of like reaching voting age.

As Sturdy Girl has pointed out, if women have the opportunity to experience their own Keystone, they may be less likely to propel themselves into unsuitable marriages in an effort to Start Their Lives. In my case, I dated such wildly inappropriate men this was not really an option. When I think about what life would be like if I had married in my 20's it makes me want to run screaming into traffic.

Oops, tangent.

So I had my own little life in the world's smallest (and loveliest) condo. Living alone in that condo was the best money ever spent. And I was making it (sort of) on my own. The "wow, I actually LIVE here" sensation never wore off. It was so beautiful driving to work. And back.

Here are things I learned:
You can't live within your means if you are unclear on what your means are.
If you are not nice to people, why would they want to be around you?
A paycheck is only helpful if it is deposited.
Skiing is fun and I like salsa with lots of cilantro.

I've thought about going back, but in my experience it's not a good idea to go back to places you've outgrown. Fortunately, I can now live the ski town life vicariously through Liz. And for this I am grateful.


I can't believe they're still using that picture of me on their website....
(as if there was such a thing as a website when I was there)

No comments: