‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, January 5, 2008

night visitors

It seems I am not the only one looking for baby Jesus. Granted, I may have been the only one trying to locate him for storage purposes. Today we went to see Cape Cod Opera perform Amahl and the Night Visitors. If you're not familiar with the opera, it's the story of the 3 Wise Men and how they stop at the home of Amahl and his mother on their way to visit Jesus. They are following a star - something I am embarrassed to say I hadn't thought of. It's so obvious.

I have a little bit of trouble referring to Amahl as an opera. After all, it's only an hour long. Even a 5 year old can sit through it. It hardly counts.

I saw Amahl and the Night Visitors once when I was in elementary school. They performed it at my best friend's Episcopal church. We were not Episcopalian but my mother let me go anyway. She also let me go to Sunday School there a few times. We made Shrinky Dinks. Sunday School rocks.

At the time, Amahl and the Night Visitors left me perplexed and underwhelmed. It may have been because I thought we were there to see Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. Believe me, it is hard to make one synch up with the other.

After Cape Cod Opera we regrouped and headed off to a birthday party. I think having a January birthday is way better than having a December birthday, but it's still tough. Do people give you all the things they got from Christmas that they didn't like? Do they wrap your gift in Christmas paper? I have so many questions.

We arrived at Studley's bedtime, so he ran around in circles and jumped up and down for about half an hour before dropping off to sleep with a half eaten cracker in his hand. We put him in the pile of coats.

I think it's good to start falling asleep in the coat pile early in life. At the rate we are going, we'll take turns falling asleep in the coat pile before 2008 is out. We love parties but my goodness are we sleepy.

3 comments:

thefoodsnob said...

I am SO ready to get back to normal. I am tired, tired, tired.
I'd love to hear about a January birthday, because I know about December ones!


Lisa

rain said...

Your life is a study in contrasts. Chickens, opera...don't get me started.

Susan said...

Lisa - Right! Happy belated birthday! Now get some sleep.

Rain - My chickens (Isolde, Aida, Tosca and Madame Butterfly) fail to see how they and opera contradict one another. Okay, maybe the eating worms part. Although some people would rather eat worms... but don't get me started.