‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Monday, February 25, 2008

going swimmingly

So today when I was swimming with Studley the teacher said "it's nice you're here with him - it's good for Studley to get some time with his mom."

My jaw dropped so far I swallowed 8 and a half gallons of highly chlorinated, warm, therapeutic pool water and promptly passed out just from the thought of how gross that water was. As I sank to the bottom of the pool, Studley, with a great show of studliness, did a jack-knife dive and swam down to rescue me - not easy when you're two and wearing floaties. Even in 4 feet of water.

"Some time with his mom."

Let's see. Last I checked there are 7 days in a week, multiplied by 24 hours in a day (sometimes more, trust me), minus the 8 hours a week I get to go someplace and work, equals: a lot of freakin time I spend with my kids.

Those 8 hours a week may or may not fall on a Monday, which is when Studley may or may not go swimming (we have a problem scheduling things around here). So when I'm not around, Chris takes him swimming. If he didn't take him swimming he would put him in a high chair at the burrito place that has wifi and let him eat tortilla chips and sugar packets all day while he reads Digg. That's Chris reading Digg, not Studley.

So how does he manage to come across as Mr. Mom, Professional Version, in swimming class? Not that I don't enjoy someone out there being under the impression that I am so high profile my husband is, well, a kept man. But seriously, just look at me. I'm as polished as a turnip.

When I was engaged my mother asked how long I thought I was going to have to work. At this point it's safe to say I will be working until I am in my mid-to-late-80s. I will be working that long because the alternative is to get good at cleaning my house. Which is not my thing.

Chris is actually pretty good at cleaning the house, which may be why he rocks the Mr. Mom look. One other time in swimming class I overheard two moms talking about going back to work. They were discussing how their husbands were going to have to pitch in - which would be a shock to their systems.

Don't tell anyone, but going back to work full time would be a shock to my system. I only work for people I like, and I don't like enough people to fill a 40 hour work week. Also, it is totally appropriate for me to have the attention span of a five-year-old. I like going from thing to thing to thing. I especially like meeting ad reps for coffee.

So I guess it is good that Studley gets to spend time with his mom. You know, as long as it doesn't interfere with my spa visits and press conferences. And coffee.

--

For the record, this is post #302 and completes a whole year of blogging nonsense.

4 comments:

Fred said...

There's a burrito place with wi-fi?

Susan said...

Fred - there's always a burrito place with wifi. You just have to keep looking until you find one.

A said...

So funny! - I don't like enough people to fill a week either. This is why I have to spend part of every day reading blogs that make me laugh out loud.

Anonymous said...

What is Why Phi?