‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Friday, February 22, 2008

The Grit

Look, it's Christmas!

Next year please remind me to go easy on the Christmas rush, because it's way more fun to get surprise packages in January or February or even March. Anyone out there forget to send us anything? Hmmm? I have an opening in March for parcel delivery.

In January we got a package from Colorado containing Egg Pants. And today we got a package from Vermont, full of books and art supplies. Included was Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal Vegetable Miracle, which everyone's been talking about (by everyone I mean my sister and my friend Bella. Close enough to everyone), and The Grit Restaurant Cookbook.

Surprisingly, Animal Vegetable Miracle will have to wait because I am reading the cookbook as if it were a smutty romance. I could barely be bothered to put my children to bed. I am neglecting basic household duties. I cannot put it down.

First I went through to get the general gist of the recipes. And then I went through and read all the quotes from musicians who eat there (The Grit is in Athens, GA and absolutely everyone plays in Athens, GA). The cover says "The Grit has a far-flung reputation as the indie-rock Moosewood." - The New Yorker. And the cookbook is quite indie-rock, too. Fabulous, fabulous design.

I've never cooked southern food and will have to stock my pantry accordingly. I suddenly feel like my sister, who is always telling me my recipes have too many ingredients. I look at the recipes in this cookbook and think what? I'm actually going to have to go buy things?

There is something in there called a Golden Bowl which as far as I can tell is a pile of stuff with gravy on it. There are also two different noodle bowls, some mac & cheese and about 8 quesadilla recipes. I have to say, some of the flavor combinations sound really, really weird to me but I think I have to trust the book and follow directions. This is a new concept. I have only followed directions carefully when I've used my Indian cookbook (because I don't have the slightest idea what some of the ingredients are so cannot substitute willy-nilly or fake the measurements). Yes, for a New Englander, southern cooking is pretty exotic.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go make some gravy and plan my Athens vacation.




(the page I swiped the image from has a great list of quotes)

No comments: