‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, March 15, 2008

alternative conversations

Today we went to an Easter egg decorating party at Lucy's friend's house. Her house is of the American Dream variety - with rooms straight out of Crate and Barrel. The kids even have their own rooms. Unbelievable.

I took a hostess gift, since I have several hostess gifts boiled up and ready to go these days. I gave them a couple sage green eggs from our very own Easter Chicken. This is a self-serving hostess gift because as the afternoon wears on and I have no idea what the other mothers are talking about they can surmise that I am Amish. Honestly? I'm starting to think they may be right.

Anyway, so there I am in the kitchen and Emily's dad mentions that he was out of town yesterday. I think this is my segue into a full on account of the times my own husband was out of town and how famous the person is with whom he travels. So I say "oh, what were you doing?" and prepare for "because my husband's been touring with a famous folksinger, don't you know." But the dad said he was checking out a biodiesel plant and I was instantly derailed.

The only people I know who talk about biodiesel live in yurts, not American Dream Houses. It makes sense to him on a commercial level and an environmental level and he's just concerned about how to manage it politically. Anyone familiar with Cape Wind knows that weening oneself from coal is not politically simple.

At one point after the party, I wondered if I had just gotten punked - as in "here comes the chicken whisperer, make up something about alternative energy."

It's possible, but I still had a good time and also learned me a thing or two about the production of biodiesel. At one point he referred to a company's "first legal batch," which made me giggle. Biodiesel, the new moonshine. I was suddenly glad Chris was not at the party because I could just see him building a biodiesel still in a hollow tree somewhere behind the house. Which is just what we need.

Do Amish people have biodiesel stills?

3 comments:

Peter said...

Susan - I didn't know where to put this so here it is anyway. In all your references to "handfulls of dirt" I found as great Vermont company I have been buying from for years called http://www.americanmeadows.com

They sell "wildflower meadows in a bag" by growing region --
You can basically order different seed mixtures depending on if you want to attract birds or insects or animals or all - and it works

Peter

thefoodsnob said...

I always have a feeling people are talking about me after I leave, but as I don't have chickens who lay pretty eggs, I think I'm just paranoid.
There seems to be no good solutions to any fuel issues. (Except maybe not using cars.)
They plant more corn for ethanol and wheat prices go up, along WITH gas prices.

Lisa

Susan said...

Peter - thanks! That will take the guess work out of it and increase my chances of success greatly.

Rain - I always have that feeling, too. And I agree about the not planting more corn to use as fuel thing. Part of this guy's job involves pumping out used cooking oil from restaurants and finding a way to dispose of it. This method uses that oil. I asked him about what oil he used so I would know how happy to be. I am happy.