‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter

I have always been puzzled by Easter. There's a giant rabbit, the risen Christ and a spiral cut ham thrown in for good measure. For the life of me I just can't get them to add up. Maybe because I didn't grow up celebrating Easter and I don't know how to do it properly, or maybe because it really doesn't make sense.

But today I discovered the true meaning of Easter and it has to do with Sorrel Flan.

We went to a friend's house, where my children hunted for Easter eggs with the throng. I was worried about Lucy because she was so concerned about Studley not finding eggs that she wasn't getting any of her own. "Ditch him!" I shouted. "He's slowing you down!" She did finally get into the spirit and, although she didn't throw elbows or hip check anyone into a gorse bush, she did reign triumphant and score the Giant Egg Trophy. That's my girl.

And then we were fed. Part of my lack of enthusiasm about Easter has been my lack of enthusiasm for Easter fare. I am not usually a ham eater, thanks to Charlotte's Web. Today I ate a very large portion of sorrel flan, accompanied by whatever seemed like a good vehicle for pomegranate glaze (I heard about the glaze beforehand and was afraid I'd have to have some alone time with the ham so I could scrape off all the glaze and consume it in a dark corner. Fortunately it was served in a gravy boat). I also had a small piece of Wilbur. As Charlotte would say, "Some Pig!"

Suffice it to say, I am now a fan of Easter fare.

After dinner we had the egg cracking contest. Do other people do this or are my friends stranger than I suspected? We took our hardboiled eggs (which served as our place cards) and smashed them end-to-end against other people's eggs to find the person with the toughest eggshell. I think the same rules apply as those used in major league hockey.

There was a moment during dinner when I thought I was going to be outed. Topics turned theological and I couldn't keep up - although those art history classes are still serving me well. I listened a lot and prepared my "I married into an Episcopalian family" speech in case anyone asked. It's not that I don't like theological discussions, I was just afraid I'd be denied cheesecake if I didn't measure up. And I didn't want to be answering a lot of questions between bites of hollandaise-covered asparagus

So here's what I understand:
Once upon a time there was a risen Christ. He hadn't eaten in days and asked some of his friends to have breakfast with him. They were fishermen, so they had spiral cut ham and hardboiled eggs. The rabbit symbolizes the loaves and fishes, because there are so darn many of them. I think maybe people should take the fish symbols off their cars and replace them with rabbits. It would be harder for the Darwinists to mess with.

Do Darwinists celebrate Easter?

Happy Easter to all my Christian, Pagan, Darwin friends. May you have sorrel flan.

4 comments:

JAbel said...

I think Easter is another of those holidays that were pagan and adopted by christians.Eggs and Rabbits would I assume represent spring and fertility.On a like note I was brought up a good Catholic and always wanted to go to an Easter Sunday mass at the little Catholic Church on Pond Road in North Truro.I can't recall the name but it was shut down in the past two years.Friends lived across the street from it one summer.I don't think it was even open except in summer but it was a beautiful little church inside.That said on Sat night I watched "The Ten Commandments" on ABC. I had not seen it years but what a great way over the top flick in Actors,costumes, sets and lines.

Fred said...

I'm a preacher's kid, and my parents avoided telling me about various non-religous Easter tradions when I was little. That is, until they sent me to nursery school at the local Jewish Community Center when I was 3. I guess I came home one day and asked them what the deal was with this Easter bunny I had heard about that day!

thefoodsnob said...

Easter accoutrements WERE brought into the celebration by the early Catholic church to make it seem more just like a spring celebration to the Pagans, thus making Catholicism more palatable.
I'm with you with the ham, but I've found one I actually like, too, with Cherry Coke!

Lisa

Susan said...

Jabel & Lisa - ah, so the eggs and rabbits are not supposed to make sense. That actually makes more sense than trying to make sense of it.

Fred - the Easter Bunny is Jewish?