‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Jan

On Wednesday I was in Wellfleet looking for a cup of coffee, and instead found tumbleweeds blowing through the empty streets. Not actual tumbleweeds, but it sure felt like it. It was quiet and deserted - shades drawn, doors closed - like a turtle patiently waiting for whatever's poking at it to give up.

I passed a truck with a bumper sticker that said, essentially, "don't bug me, I'm a local." Those stickers have always sort of bothered me. We're all local somewhere, and we should probably try not to bug each other - no matter where we are.

And then as the day unfolded I thought about how those people who are scrappy and combative are also the ones who are protective and loyal. It's like a great big family, these locals. Sometimes they're showing the scars from a thrown can of peas, other times they're helping each other to stand.

I am not part of that family, but I have loved and admired many of its members. I listen to and love the stories people tell as they reminisce about someone who's passed. Theirs is a rich and intricately woven culture. So many are inextricably tied by bonds of family and friendship and sheer history - their stories will just keep getting brighter.

Here's to the locals of Wellfleet. Bless your hearts.

If you've come looking for Caleb's family, go say hello to Sharyn.

4 comments:

Sturdy Girl said...

That attitude kind of bugs me too -especially when the "locals" are newbie locals who actually KNEW what they were getting into before moving to a popular in-season vacation spot.

Susan said...

SG - Very true. Around here they are known as "washashores." I don't think there are any washashore bumper stickers, although the way things have been going, "I'm a washashore. I'll see you in court" might be popular.

Ambley said...

This is also true in Hawaii. Locals are (generally) unhappy with mainlanders (more derrogatory terms usually used) because of taking the good jobs, invading the peace, etc. However, while we were there for our honeymoon, we noted signs about the indigenous people, there before the Hawaiians. I mean, it's a bunch of volcanoes, so no one could've been there for that long, but even the locals took over from someone else. They just choose not to recognize/notice that.

Anonymous said...

There's a bumper sticker I've seen around our resort town that says
"If it's tourist season can we shoot them?"

I really enjoy reading your blogs. What a change from your colorado days.