‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, May 31, 2008

freshening up a bit

I had a day of beauty last week. My husband stayed home with the kids while I primped and preened and restored myself to my former gloriously radiant self. After all, he married me because I am me (read: not a very good housekeeper) and so he should understand that I need to take certain steps every so often to maintain the me-ness which originally enraptured him.

In other words, I spent an entire day exploring a new town, going to a museum, having lunch, taking a dance class and oh yes, I got my brows waxed on a lark. I spent my day of beauty in Marblehead and Salem, which I now love very much. Salem is the home of the Peabody Essex Museum, which is in turn the home of Yin Yu Tang - a re-erected merchant's house brought from China. I didn't get there in time to see Yin Yu Tang as was too busy exploring coastal gardens and, uh, having my brows waxed. But I did see the two special exhibits Wedded Bliss: The Marriage of Art and Ceremony and Body Politics: Maori Tattoo Today. My favorite thing in the wedding exhibit was a piece called "Bride Fight." It's a plexi cube in which two wedding gowns and their accessories are frozen in space, caught in the act of tearing each other apart. It's fabulous - especially little details like a miniature satin glove holding a clump of perfectly coiffed hair. The thing I loved most about the Maori exhibit was absolutely everything. I even got to meet the curator (at the dance class - who knew?!?) and had the opportunity to wax typically poetic, spewing accolades such as "dude, that rocked." And then I threw myself on the ground in front of her (actually I almost did that accidentally in dance class).

In Marblehead I had coffee at Atomic Cafe, crashed a day spa called Dayles, and can't remember the name of where I had lunch, but it was delicious. I had dinner at Sticky Rice, and chatted with the owner who I had met earlier as he tended one of his farms. Can you imagine how impossibly fresh that food is? Oh, and I did a little shopping on Washington Street but don't tell Chris or he'll NEVER LET ME OUT OF THE HOUSE AGAIN.

...unless I'm looking a bit not myself, and then he may make me an appointment with a certain museum on the North Shore. Hopefully soon.

3 comments:

Bella said...

speaking of brow waxing and waxing poetic, I hear from my hip young neighbors that there is a great do it yourself wax called poetic wax...or something like that. I plan to check it out when I remember.

Ranzige Bunzing said...

Chris, Chris, man, I gotta tell you something...

Just kidding Susan. At least you're still a reliable blogperson ;-)

Susan said...

Bella - do you have any idea what I would look like if I waxed my own brows? "Bride Fight II" Or I would just have wax on my face until it melted off because I'm too much of a sissy. Let me know how it goes....

Ranz - you are missed. I too am pondering the pointlessness of it all now that A's gone missing - but I'm too much of a creature of habit to stop now.