‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, May 3, 2008

lunch and laundry

Yesterday Fairy Queen called Chris at work for technical support. He was, as we all have suspected for years, out to lunch. Fairy Queen reported to me that Chris had ordered brown rice with broccoli and tempeh.

Who eats brown rice, broccoli and tempeh on purpose and voluntarily? We decided that Chris would be happiest living in a commune in the '70s. By "we" I mean "I." As soon as it was out of my mouth I caught Fairy Queen casting a furtive glance around my livingroom.

Okay, so he does live in a '70s commune. There are now eight people living here, plus guests. I have a table in the livingroom jammed full of vegetable seedlings. There's a pot of curry on the stove and of course there's Rainbow, Delilah, Cassidy and Dharma out in their coop. I think it might be time to give up my current job and start making bayberry candles.

Bearing all this in mind, consider my surprise when my presence was requested for a design consultation at my local church. They said "we want people to feel at home here. Don't you think we should make it look more homey?" So I reached in my pocket, found a pair of Studley's dirty socks and tossed them on the floor.

Chris orders brown rice and tempeh. I have dirty socks in my pocket. We are one dreamy couple.

2 comments:

Bella said...

dirty socks are much less disgusting than snotty hankies and that's what i seem to find when i reach in my pocket. i see nothing communal about living in a small house with extended family and chickens....third world maybe but you have too many wires and such running about to be that.

Susan said...

Bella - The third world is getting very modern, what with outsourcing and all. I think you're on to something. And I think the ladies I was with are all very, very happy I didn't have a snotty hanky in my pocket.