‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Atlas Shrugged

In the new issue of COD (the Cape & Islands' only alternative newspaper), James Joiner (editor? director? associate spellchecker?) says
Through all the craziness of the past month, I noticed something: there are a lot of exceptional folks here on the Cape. What is it about this place that attracts such creative, freethinking people? At almost every turn I ran into artists, writers, musicians, leaders in the fields of animal welfare, behavior and biology... Pretty incredible. I love the fact that so many people in our community don't feel the need to bow to the status quo and are out there making an impact in their own way and on their own terms. Our hats off to you.
I have been noticing this, too. All our friends are up to cool things. I don't know a single person who's doing the 9 to 5 haul, working for something they're not that into. Of course we know a lot of musicians and they're just a world unto themselves, but it's not just them. It's artists and writers and gallery directors and nutritional experts and green engineers and caterers and radio djs and designers and all sorts of other crazy things. They're all a little nutty about what they do, and they're good at it. The contractors we know treat each project like it's their own home and let me tell you, even their bathroom doors are exceptional. The theater people are putting on some of the most edge-of-your-seat theater I've ever seen. Don't let the flip-flops fool you. People around here are like the balsamic reduction of humanity.

I'm writing this post instead of writing my news blurb on Beanstock Coffee Roasters. Do you have any idea how maniacal they are over there about quality? They're all "we source the best beans in the world and roast each kind of bean to just the right roastedness so you will want to drink the coffee forever and ever." Those weren't their exact words (maybe "roastedness" was a give-away?) but you get the idea. It makes me tired just thinking about all those trips to South America to buy coffee. Wait a minute, no it doesn't. I am in the wrong business entirely.

Or maybe I'm not. During the course of my day I got to chat with people who were really really into their work. From the people who roast the coffee to the people who wrote the quote above, it's just a pleasure and an honor to be part of this enthusiastic community of thinkers and doers.

I suppose I should maybe get to work now.

4 comments:

jenrebecc said...

i LOVE being the balsamic reduction of humanity. (also good over strawberries)

thefoodsnob said...

Balsamic reduction of humanity, Beanstalk Coffee Roasters, yum!
Now I'm hungry (I'm coming up this weekend WITHOUT hubby, any other food suggestions? I'm Googling the bakery as we speak.)

Lisa

Susan said...

jenrebecc - and delightful with goat cheese.

Lisa - Don't forget to stop by Paul's Bean and Bagel for your Beanstock fix! Also in Sandwich is Tomatoes, a yummy Italian restaurant on Cotuit Road. Of course you've been to tea at Dunbar? They introduced a new menu at Dan'l Webster last year. Yes, Dan'l Webster is Hearth & Kettle people, but the new menu was vegetarian and very adventurous. It's the Green Palate menu and has a lot of locally grown and organic goodies.
And that's just Sandwich! I should devote a post to this subject. Or maybe I'll start a new blog. (I'm looking at you, Jenrebecc).

thefoodsnob said...

So I did none of that!
My friend and I went to the same pub two nights in a row because I now have scary crush/obsession with the bartender.
I'm nothing of not obsessive.
Luckily, I don't know when I'll be back next!
(We did go to the Tiki Port, but just for lunch, so I expect I didn't get the full effect of the cheesiness!)

Lisa