‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Dana Colley

Dana Colley (the saxophone player from Morphine) was in town last night, playing with his new rig A.K.A.C.O.D. Would you like to guess who was not there? Because she failed to get a babysitter?

Ironically, I know Dana because once I babysat his daughter after having known him and his family for, oh, about seven minutes. Dana was playing in town and he asked the club manager if there was anyone who could babysit so his family could come to the show. It was maybe four or five years ago and we were the only people in our circle who had kids. Also we were known to let musicians and their progeny into our house so were summarily volunteered. Lucy was only a year old and I remember Dana's daughter settling into the spare bed in her room and piping up "ooooh, there's a BABY SLEEPING IN HERE!" I think I had a sitter that night, so once the girls were both asleep I got to go see the show.

That was the first time I saw Dana live and let me tell you, he is amazing.

About a year later, Lucy and I ran into them at Simon Pearce in Quechee, VT. Lucy and I had been watching glassblowing and had had a very civilized lunch in their restaurant, where she dined on grilled cheese made with local cheddar and drank her milk out of a hand-blown Simon Pearce glass. We were on our way out when we passed this family and they looked at us and we looked at them and the wheels spun for a little while before we recognized each other as having become friends in my driveway. The girls ran around and played on the lawn like they had known each other forever.

As we continued the drive to Burlington, I thought about how many musicians we know and wouldn't it be spiffy to start an autograph book? I mentioned it to the friends I was visiting and they told me about another music industry friend who had musicians sign the pages of a children's book. I stole the idea immediately and relegated "Green Eggs and Ham" for just that purpose.

Over the last few years we've had lots of people sign it, but every time Dana's in town, we forget to get out the book. I keep thinking I should mail it to him, but at this point it's too precious to let go from our sight. The most famous people who've signed it are Colin Meloy (the Decemberists), Peter Wolf (G. Geils), Colin Hay (Men at Work), Julianna Hatfield, Frank Black (the Pixies) and David Lowery (Cracker).

And now we need to start a new book, because the autographs in "Green Eggs and Ham" are written to Lucy. What is Studley, chopped liver?

We'll give it to her when she gets older and she will be all, "who are all these people and why did you let them write all over my book?" Or not. Chris, per my text message, bought the new A.K.A.C.O.D. cd, so Lucy will grow up listening to great music and hopefully have a larger frame of musical reference than her peers.

Behold, Morphine:

4 comments:

thefoodsnob said...

Wow, you know some really cool people, lucky you!

Lisa

Louisa Ferncliff said...

okay, so i'm a little impressed too. morphine fans, both of us. the only other one on your list that raised any eyebrow was Frank Black. izzy has a drawing dave mathews did for her in our art store one day...they were both shopping for markers and she pounced on him. i think she'll be much more impressed with her little prize later in life.

Susan said...

Food Snob - Actually, Chris does. I'm only in by marriage. The closest I've gotten to knowing someone famous was my friend who made it to the final three in the audition for the new Gorton's Fisherman.

Louisa - Chris has also worked with Jonathan Richman a few times, but we always forgot the book. And that is QUITE a prize for Izzy! Dave Matthews. Dude.

Ms Picket To You said...

MORPHINE!

The first band I ever worked with, got drunk with, and cried over.

Yay. Morphine.