‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, August 9, 2008

playdates, and how I sometimes forget the kids are there

First of all, thank you to everyone for making my birthday so very awesome. My friends, visible and invisible alike, completely rock. If I were a drinker I would have spent the whole day hanging on people and saying "I love you, man." I may have done a bit of that anyway, but whatever.

Today was slated to be anti-climactic, what with it being the day after the big day and all, but OH NO. It wasn't. The executive director* I work for (as he says, his title sounds like "most likely to get knocked off third in movies") had suggested we get the families together for a day of fun fun fun. He has a daughter who is close to Lucy's age and a wife who is lovely and friendly and willing to spend the day with people like us.

We had a great day. This evening as I tucked Lucy in bed she told me all the things she liked most about the day. Dinner here with family, her sleepover last night and spending the day with her new friend. I too was grateful for dinner, her sleepover, and spending the day with new friends. And I thanked her for making my day so fun.

Kids open all kinds of doors. Especially for those of us who are not especially outgoing. I just went and spent the day with a man I work for and his wife. I only know him through work and have only laid eyes on him twice before this (I work from home. He does not work in my home). Under normal circumstances I would not have said "hey, how about you, me and your wife get together and play some mini golf on Saturday? maybe have some lunch? and watch some baseball?" But there we were, doing exactly that today. And all under the auspices of a play date. It's all about getting the kids together.

We are using them.

Once Chris and I took a ballroom dancing class (don't try to imagine what that looked like). There was another couple who was really nice and I thought it would be fun to get together with them some time. You'd think I was trying to ask them on a date. I got nervous. Felt self conscious. Went through the whole what-if-they-don't-like-us thing. Feared rejection. Blah blah blah. I don't even remember what they looked like or what they did or why I thought we'd have anything in common, because I never talked to them. What was I going to say? "Hey, you guys want to go play some mini-golf after class?" Seems a little weird, no?

We actually have a surfeit of splendid friends and are not actively shopping for new ones. This is good because before we know it the kids will be teenagers and will scoff at our attempts to commandeer social agendas. Our days of hanging with new peeps will be mere memories and my professional networking will have to be done in places other than playgrounds. But not yet.

And maybe by then I'll have learned to play mah jong. Anyone want to come play?

*I thought he was my editor. He is not. Do I even have an editor? Is ANYONE checking my stuff before it goes out? I certainly hope so because I'm not paying attention.

No comments: