‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wellfleet Tails

While we're on the subject of traditions, I must bring your attention to this Wellfleet phenomenon: The Tail.

It is a piece of rope tied most often to the hitch of a pickup, but can sometimes be found on sturdy sedans and the occasional Vespa. It frays as it drags on the ground and gets all fluffy. It's maybe a fisherman thing? I've asked and there are a few theories circulating. Not even Wellfleetians are consistant with the story. Some people say it has something to do with WHAT HAS BEEN DONE in the truck. Which makes one raise an eyebrow to the Vespa. Awkward.

I used to see tails all the time. When I first moved here I wanted to do a photo essay/ coffee table book on Wellfleet Tails. Some of them were so big and ridiculous they looked like the truck was dragging a bath mat. And the ones on unlikely vehicles were especially photogenic. They are becoming scarce and I fear the golden era of this rich tradition may be on the decline.

If anyone has any insight, please advise.

2 comments:

Ranzige Bunzing said...

Uhhhmmm, street fishing, maybe?
Yeah, that must be it. When Gustav and/or Hanna gets way out of course, the streets will flood and one can pick up a meal by just totting a net on the car.
´Honey, please install the barbie on the roof, I´m bringing in diner!´

Susan said...

Ranz - that would be funny if I weren't living 30 MILES OUT IN THE OCEAN, on a very narrow spit of sand. It is a good idea, though.

How's Humpy? Can he swim?