‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Monday, October 27, 2008

feeling flush

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming of musicians and toilets and musicians who leave toilets in our yard. Because who doesn't come home to find a toilet in their yard from time to time?

Last weekend Chris was recording a band. When the guitar player came up to use the bathroom, he noticed that our toilet wasn't working particularly well. He's currently tearing down a house and suggested salvaging a toilet and bringing it over for us to install. "It's so easy," he tells me. "Have you ever put in a toilet?" Er, no, I haven't installed a toilet. I am not sure how I have lived this long and not put in a toilet. I know that it involves a wax ring, though. So that's almost like having done it.

True to his word, the loudest guitar player in the world brought a toilet over today. Honestly? I'm thrilled. It's a low-flush toilet, so it's a gigantic improvement over our continual flush model. And we don't have to go spending money on it, which is good because in the 17 pages that comprise my 2008 Christmas wish list, you will not find "new toilet."

This whole salvaging thing is new to me. We have lots of salvaged things here at the Towers - our upstairs fridge, some cupboards and now this. It's the way things are done around here. And by "here" I mean Cape Cod. And by Cape Cod I mean the lower/outer Cape. When they took down the old Uncle Tim's Bridge in Wellfleet, all the lumber was hauled off by various people to use on various projects. I heard they didn't need to take much of anything to the dump. It's the same spirit that drove people to the beaches in the wee hours of the morning to scavenge valuables washed up on shore after a shipwreck. We've just stopped waving our lanterns on moonless nights, trying to get the ships to wreck.

Oh, and to make matters even more colorful, when I went to see this house they are taking down, I noticed a man standing across the street watching the activity. I soon recognized him as someone who had recently been elected to a board I sit on. Which is awesome because it's not like I already have a reputation for being the oddball on the board or anything (they are lovely and pretend not to notice that sometimes I have mustard in my hair). I just have to be careful if we ever meet at my house, not to let this particular person use the hall bathroom. I can't have him recognizing the toilet from across the street, now can I? Because, you know, he might not be from here.

(Lest you think I was making this up.)

So now the question is, what to do with the old one. Planter?

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Two things:

1) I have installed a toilet. My dad made me do it. I have now forgotten how and plan to never do it again.

2) We have an old toilet behind our house right now. If you come up with any good ideas, let me know.

jenrebecc said...

bird bath?
chicken fall-out shelter?
chipmunk habitrail?
coyote commode?
cranberry surplus storage?
small koi pond?

Susan said...

kristin - how much space do you think one needs to raise tilapia?

jenrebecc - these are all good. I have always wanted to grow waterlilies, so I think koi pond is winning. Minus the koi.

Kristin said...

Well. The answer to that depends on if "tilapia" is being used as a singular or plural noun. It can go both ways, ya know. (God, I'm such a grammar geek.) If we're talking singular, then MAYBE the toilet would be big enough for an appetizer-sized tilapia?

Hee. Toilet Tilapia. Very marketable.

Or I could just make A. go fishing already and bring me home some fresh fish, dammit. He's too busy with that stupid JOB, and we haven't had fresh trout in forever.