‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Monday, October 20, 2008

Wellfleet OysterFest

According to some of our oyster friends, Sunday was slow at OysterFest. Which makes my head spin right off its hinges.

Because this just does not look slow to me. That's the crowd watching the oyster shucking competition. Wellfleet takes its oyster shucking very seriously - but you knew that since the U.S. Champion Oyster Shucker is from Wellfleet and competed in this very contest last year. He made a cameo appearance on Saturday, but I think he was busy with speaking engagements and maybe an ESPN something or other when we were there on Sunday. You can read more about Chopper here.

That picture is the parking lot of town hall. Food vendors are in the tent you can barely see on the left. I do love those food vendors. Of course there were oysters all over the place ($1.50 ea. or 12/$12), but there were also fish cakes from Terra Luna (again, I must apologize for doing shots of whatever that sauce was. I cannot resist. It rocks in ways I cannot describe), sushi from Mac's, shrimp tempura from WOMR, pizza from the Flying Fish, buttermilk battered oysters from the Wicked Oyster and a whole host of things I could not get because really, enough is enough. Oh, and a cup of coffee from Beanstock coffee roasters because a) it's yummy and b) I couldn't move my fingers from the cold and it was cheaper than the fleece mittens I was eyeing.

This year we had the magical set up. Henceforth I will never attend a festival without lining up a pied a terre in its midst. It is the answer to everything. The photo above was shot by Chris from the roof of his box truck, from which WOMR broadcasted live. They didn't use the inside of the truck, just the outside. Chris had a little studio set up inside with room for us to have lunch and nap. We went out into the throngs for a bit and then retreated through the very high security area to our home away from home. For those of us who don't dig crowds so much, it was heaven.

While Studley napped in the truck, Lucy and I headed back out through the crowd to the slightly less crowded Main Street, which was lined with more oysters and craft booths. There was a kids' activity section behind Preservation Hall, where we could paint pumpkins and string oyster necklaces. Lucy made a particularly lovely necklace.

This year there were a few stand out vendors. Liza Jane Norman makes these skirts that look like lampshades, so whether she liked it or not Lucy had to have one. After all, why have a little girl if you can't dress her in lampshades? Liza also had a fetching pair of pirate pants for Studley. It looks like she's still working on her website, but her home page is cool. Tons of people were wearing her groovy striped legwarmers.

And then there was the hoop booth. They made customized hoops for adults and were demonstrating all the things mere mortals will never be able to do with them.


That's Moya at Flo Hoops. She was unbelievable.

I also met Tessa Morgan of Flying Pig Pottery. I happened upon her studio last year and wrote about it here. And a couple booths down our friends from Narrow Land Pottery had a booth. Hi Marianne! Send me that link about homeless musicians looking for places to stay, okay? We want to make sure we block the site while there's time. We have enough homeless musicians, thank you. Around the corner was Kate from Leave it to Weaver. I go way back with Kate and was even her headless model a couple times. If you look at some of her slides or postcards, that's my chin. I have a very nice chin. We bartered and I scored some awesome scarves, back in the day. You can never have too many Leave it to Weaver scarves.

And I chatted up Andrew Jacob, who I thought was Jacob, not Andrew, but he was nice and let it slide. He was the featured artist in the September issue of C.O.D. It's here if you feel like digging. I was so busy trying to give myself some street cred on C.O.D's dime I didn't actually find out anything about him and probably annoyed him to no end. Social skills come later.

Finally, the town of Wellfleet was super-all-that and let P-town Pedicabs come pedal people around. Liz posted about them here.

And then we slept like reveling oysters. The end.

3 comments:

whiny james said...

Hey! You should repost that at COD!
Please?

Begging?

(Just a little)

thefoodsnob said...

Now I REALLY wish I had come up for this! (I was going to run the road race.)

Lisa

Lisa said...

How fun! I've only been to Wellfleet once, and it years ago on a familiy vacation. We had a great time.

And yes, you are exactly right (and creative!) with the Sobriety of the Peppermint Patty. :)