‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

and now for something completely different

I am trying very hard to write about something unrelated to the election. Because if I start writing about the election I might not stop. Ever. It just makes me want to run around hugging people. My heart simply cannot hold this much love.

SO.

Lucy was in a blind funk this morning because her dentist appointment was canceled and she had looked forward to it ALL WEEK. I have no idea what I'm doing right in the parenting department, but obviously the part where we willfully mislead our children is going smashingly.

It also seems I've successfully mislead my upstairs neighbor. She came down last night looking for some help with a knitting project. This is funny because I have the knitting skills of a cabbage. But it seems I talk a good line. Plus, those Christmas presents I made last year were really impressive - mostly popsicle stick gods eyes and some of those knitted things you make with the spool where the knitted tube comes out the bottom.

Speaking of making my own gifts, I took the pledge to give handmade gifts this season. This is a no brainer for me because I'm handy with popsicle sticks. And I work for a gallery where they sell handmade things if I run out of popsicle sticks. I love the idea behind this pledge. The buyhandmade.org website says:
The ascendancy of chain store culture and global manufacturing has left us dressing, furnishing, and decorating alike. We are encouraged to be consumers, not producers, of our own culture. Our ties to the local and human sources of our goods have been lost. Buying handmade helps us reconnect.
To be fair, no one dresses, furnishes or decorates the way we do at Trout Towers. Mostly because they don't want to. Furthermore, at this very moment I can pretty much guarantee that I am producing my own culture somewhere in the house. That's what happens when people don't bring their dirty dishes back to the kitchen.

I would love to branch out from my loop potholders and crocheted plant hangers, so if you have any great ideas for handmade gifts, please weigh in. Maybe gift certificates redeemable for the misleading of other people's children?

5 comments:

james is making nachos now said...

Hmm... If you want to make paper mache (sp?) I know a guy with lots of raw materials!
P.S. I really want you to write about the election. For the site.
Please?

You are remembering to keep the 15th of Nov. clear, yes?
Lastly.. We need to talk. About coffee bags. And soon!
K. Bye!

Kristin said...

FOOOOOD. Everyone loves food, and if it's homemade (cranberry jelly, anyone?), they will love YOU forever.

Ha-Hoo said...

I may need a knitting intervention. The orders are piling up, I have many gifts half done and I spent $89 on yarn for a scarf....for myself!
Jams would have made more sense, damn.
But what do you REALLY think about the future of America? We need to know.

MUH FUH said...

Well I could would should make this spicy chipotle orange mayo and fishcakes. Everyone loves fishcakes and they make great stocking stuffers...

Susan said...

james - I love paper mache!

kristin - ding ding ding, right answer! I was hoping someone would suggest that. You know, since that's what I've done. Hopefully it won't be mistaken for paper mache.

ha-hoo - what do I really think? I think the world will get together and make up a song for us and sing it holding hands.

muh fuh - yes, you should.