‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Monday, November 10, 2008

I would poke food through the bars, so what's the problem?

Chris made the kids go to the beach yesterday. Made them. They get all "oh man, not the BEACH AGAIN" when we suggest it, but we are mean parents and do not listen to them.

Once they are there, they act as if it was their idea. They run around and torment the seagulls. And then they make scale versions of their favorite cities in the sand. Yesterday was Taipei. They were very tired when they came home. Especially Studley, who was doing all this when he was supposed to be taking a nap.

He fell asleep on the kitchen floor while I was making dinner, around 4:30. Side note - ahahahahaha! I make dinner at 4:30 now! What am I, somebody's mother? Oh late night dinners, I miss you so.

I let him sleep for awhile because he was in the one spot that was not in my way. And then I had to drain the pasta and Chris said "er, can I move the kid before you step over him with a gigantic pot of boiling water?" He is so persnickety, that one. Chris tossed Studley in bed and the rest of us had dinner. We were very quiet because there were only eight dinner rolls and they wouldn't have split so easily between five people as they did four. Lucy of course had it all figured out and had gotten out her caliper and exacto knife to do the necessary dividing if need be.

After dinner I changed Studley into his pajamas, figuring he'd wake up. He didn't. He drooled a little on me, but that's about all the response I got. I figured, how bad could this possibly go? and put him to bed for the night.

"The night" ended promptly at 3:15 a.m.

Needless to say, I was a little sleepy at work today. But I do some of my best thinking in that space that hangs between asleep and awake. I had about 7 hours of that space today, so I thought a lot of thoughts.

One of my coworkers has a new puppy. She was telling me about her but in my addled state it all sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher talking.

her: mwah mwah mwah mwah puppy kindergarten mwah mwah.
me: zzzzzz...
her: mwah mwah mwah and she's totally crate trained...
me: crate trained? How big a crate? Where do you get them? Do you just use it at night or during the day when you need a break? How long do you leave her in there? What sort of dexterity is required to open it from the inside?

I think this crate thing is the answer to everything. Studley gets up so darn early and there seems to be no way of keeping him out of the refrigerator - especially the egg carton - without getting up and supervising him. I keep explaining that getting up to supervise him when I'd rather be sleeping is not an option, but the other people around here don't seem to get it.

I'll let you know how it goes. If it's successful, maybe I'll get one for myself and refuse to come out.

5 comments:

JAbel said...

Cities in the sand rock.When the tide comes in you can explain global warming to the young uns.As for crates when I lived in Berkeley we put our malamute puppy"Bozo" in a childs crib with chicken wire one day so he would not tear the place apart as was his wont in puppy days.Came home to find the chicken wire chewed apart a wood slat chewed open and laundry all over the floor and waterbed with Bozo lying on the bed lion style wagging his tail.He made a puppy deposit on the floor and on top of the bed also.

Debbie said...

This is too funny. You are a very talented writer. I don't know how you found my blog but I am breaking my rule and heading over to put you on my reader.

Erin, Nick and Merrick said...

Visiting from Suburban Sanity : )
LOVE the title of this blog..sooo funny!!

Ms Picket To You said...

dude, I tried the tent over the crib thing for a 15th month old daughter. she unzipped it on day three. hopped out -- couldn't even WALK yet! I consider a good night one in which I don't even remember some kid sneaking into my bed. when the kick in the jaw at 6 AM is acceptable.

ugh.

and aren't we terrible parents for making our kids go to the beach?

Susan said...

jabel - bozo, studley and global warming all seem to have some things in common.

debbie - thanks! As for how I found your blog, it was all regular stalking procedure.

erin, nick & merrick - if you think that's funny, you should stop by at feeding time. It will knock your socks off.

Ms. Picket - now see? Why are those tent thingies okay but crating your kid would most likely be frowned upon?
I had a kick in the jaw at 6am this morning and was all "yay! It's not 3!" I feel your pain, sister.