‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Thursday, November 27, 2008

of turkeys and trout

Oh look, it's 3:15 and the house is filled with smoke. It must be time for dinner! Who needs a dinner bell when there's coughing and wheezing to be done. It was just the butter water boiling over before I put the stuffing in, not the kitchen bursting into flames this year. Kitchen fires are sooo 2006.

Did you have a nice Thanksgiving? We had a good group of people who don't care so much that I used the napkins usually reserved for packing in lunchboxes. They were more focused on the yummy snacks (thanks upstairs neighbors!) and the ridiculous quantity of food. I think Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love the food, and I love the reminder to think of all the things I'm thankful for.

I would tell you what I'm thankful for, but really, there aren't enough pixels for that. It's been a weirdly good year. Is that okay? That, despite appearances, we're having a good year amid national crisis? Granted our measurement of "good" is different from most and doesn't include things like a rain barrel full of cash. We forgot to get us a rain barrel full of cash. But we did kind of get a new home. And we have a new relationship with the kids' grandma - heck, we expanded our family from four to five and I didn't have to give birth! I'd call it a win.

I sometimes forget about the "ornaments of a house" line at the top of the page. Sometimes I go for weeks without looking at my own blog - hopefully things aren't going completely haywire. But about that ornaments thing, it's true. We've been stripping the house of ornamentation in the name of decluttering, and I am here to say, nothing gussies up a place like a good group of people.

So to my dinner friends, thanks for spiffying up my home.

And to my invisible internet friends, thanks for spiffying up my blog.

The world is a better place with you in it. Happy Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Mary Alice said...

Happy Thanksgiving. You are so right the people are the most beautiful ornaments a house can have. And there is nothing wrong with having a good year!

mjcasual said...

This has to be the first time I've ever been complimented/accused re: any 'spiffying' on my part.
Terms like 'wallowing' or 'dilly-dallying' are usually more accurate.
So I give thanks this year for my newfound ability to spiffy, and also for the hospitality and patience of good friends such as yourselves.

Kristin said...

Right back at ya. And thank you for eating extra mashed pototoes in my honor. Those are the kinds of tributes I can get behind.

Her Royal Troutness said...

Mary Alice - I loved the sound of your Thanksgiving!

mjcasual - you are brilliantly ornamental. I find it difficult to believe that no one's mentioned it before now.

Kristin - I will make a great effort to pay tribute on a regular basis. It seems the least I can do.