‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas music, sort of

We go to a lot of Christmas Spectacular type things. Or Fourth of July Spectacular kinds of things. You get the idea. Sometimes we like the music, often we like the people and nearly always we like the spirit in which they are presented. We grade on a curve in most instances.

At these things there are nearly always performances by children, which are cute. And then there are solos by not-children. These soloists are generally the shining star from some school or choir or someone's neighbor who took a voice lesson. They are lovely and their hearts are in the right place. But, sometimes...how can I say this kindly? Sometimes they suck. And after seeing myriad underwhelming yet heartfelt performances, I've come to lower my expectations when a twenty-something in a shiny dress takes the stage. I don't dive for my earplugs, but only because I forgot to bring them.

And this is where I need to apologize to Rachel Price for underestimating her. Rachel, if you're out there somewhere, I'd like to invite you to our annual Trout Towers Christmas Sing. Because I don't sing very well and we need some ringers.

People, just go listen to her now.

I really need to have more faith when people line up guest artists. Rachel was fantastic. She closed with a gospel Joy to the World that made me want to... made me want to... I don't know. Buy everyone a cookie? Something like that.

I looked for her on iTunes but came up empty. However, I did find my new favorite band Fleet Foxes. I was going to link a youtube video but looking at them kind of ruins the music for me. Not in a bad way, just in a "wait, is this a religious order?" kind of way. It reminds me of an album my aunt and uncle gave me when I visited them in Brattleboro, VT. The album was made by some monks, I think. Fleet Foxes actually sound nothing like that album, but they do kind of look like the cover art. And I'd be okay with all that, except that I first heard it on WFNX, where I expect something a little edgier than, say, Chant.

Which is all just my way of saying that it's been a very Christacular December so far. And it has only just begun.

If you are in Boston next week, be sure to catch the Christmas Cavalcade:

Thursday, December 18th- the Annual Boston Christmas Cavalcade for the Homeless at Johnny D's (17 Holland St. Davis Sq., Somerville; 617 776 2004), featuring the Chandler Travis Philharmonic, Livingston Taylor, Jennifer Kimball & Ry Cavanaugh, the Greenheads, Ryan Landry, Merrie Amsterberg, Jenny Dee and the Deelinquents, Shaun Wortis, Rose Polenzani, Greg Greenway, Sal Baglio, the Jessica Schroeder Dancer, the Boston Typewriter Orchestra, the Philharmonic Trombone Shout Band, & the Athol Thingerth, plus more!
Show at 8:30; tickets: $15.00 (or whatever you can bear -all donations cheerfully accepted.) Proceeds go to the Somerville Homeless Coalition.

I can't make it, but will someone please go and tell me what the Boston Typewriter Orchestra is all about?

6 comments:

JAbel said...

I can't believe Johnny D's is still around.The first time I went back around 79 we saw Johnny Guitar Watson I think.I wonder if they are electric or acoustic Typewriters or a mix of both.

Susan said...

jabel - I happen to have an authority on such things in my basement this very minute, so I scampered down and asked him. Answer: Acoustic.

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

JAbel said...

Now they look like fun!

Lisa said...

I would love to see the Boston Typewriter Orchestra! Have you seen the movie Atonement? Its soundtrack has a lot of typewriter elements - really interesting.

I too love Christmas-y productions, spectacular or otherwise (I'm not a very harsh critic!). I was just in NYC on Sunday to see "the" Christmas Spectacular and it was most definitely spectacular!

Ms Picket To You said...

can i just say that MY aunt and uncle live in brattleboro VT? are you sure we aren't -- in fact -- related?

Susan said...

Lisa - I just got caught up on your Christmas Spectacular. Dang, girl!

Ms. Picket - that would be totally awesome.