‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Friday, December 19, 2008

winter storm warning

I just went to the store to get emergency supplies, such as cream cheese to go with the cranberry pepper jelly. It would be a huge bummer to be snowed in, with no power, and have no cream cheese to go with our pepper jelly.

I guess my point is that we are scheduled for a huge snow storm and if you don't hear from me it's because I am in my basement eating the pickles I jarred last summer. While I'm not very good at panic buying, I'm quite adept at panic eating.

It finally started snowing about 20 minutes ago, and although I hate to admit it, the forecast may have been right this time. Good thing we have all these Christmas candles. And snacks. And a Christmas tree to stuff in the woodstove when things go completely, irretrievably, desperately wrong.

The real question is, how long before we eat the chickens? And how do we go about it, once the power is out and we can't google "how to butcher pet chicken during epic snow storm"?

Good gravy, it's really snowing hard. I have to go panic now. Please send Italian Calvisius Transmontanus Caviar, and some toast points. Thank you.

4 comments:

JAbel said...

Once you hear the Wolves howling it's time to barricade the doors.Enjoy the storm.

Kristin said...

We've been getting it all day. Much woodstove sitting and tea drinking on my end. And some shoveling, which is not so much fun. More to come tomorrow.

I love being a kept woman.

jenrebecc said...

by the way. i do have one critique of the salsa. perhaps next year you could use bigger jars. just a suggestion.

Susan said...

jabel - doors barricaded! Storm was aesthetically pleasing without doing any real damage. My kind of winterness.

Kristin - Oooh, the life of a kept woman! I happen to know that there was potato digging involved and that you earned this spree of tea-drinking, but still.

jenrebecc - they did seem kind of puny. I'll work on that.