‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Monday, January 12, 2009

it's de limit, it's deluxe, it's delurking

I know, I know, I ask a lot of you. But today is National Delurking Day. No, delurking does not involve a fine-tooth comb, but if you've been quietly reading and want to let me know you're out there, somewhere, today's the day to do it! You don't have to tell me who you are or that you only read Trout Towers when things are slow at work. I know that. I feel the collective attention plummet every weekday at 5pm sharp, and I'm okay with that.

And if you want to keep lurking, I'm okay with that, too. Seriously. Thank you for reading. It kind of makes my day (Chris: "kind of? kind of?!?!").

Moving on. Spoiler alert! The new issue of The Sound has a brandy spandy new column by Tony Pasquale, called Soup to Nuts, which involves brilliant commentary and a recipe. We made the recipe in the Trout Towers test kitchen just last night and oh mercy me, it was the best. Copies hit news stands and coffee shop floors on the 15th.

I am sorry if you don't live on Cape Cod and can't get the Sound. We really should look into some kind of subscription thingy. Let's do this: If you send me $20, I'll send you a copy.

It seems the least I can do on delurking day.

So please be sweet, my chickadee
And when I write, just say to me
"It's delightful, it's delicious, it's delectable, it's delirious,
It's dilemma, it's de limit, it's deluxe, it's de-lovely"

Or whatever you want.

p.s. it's not that I'm so hip to this stuff. I read From the Frontlines first thing this morning and took her post as gospel. Which I'm sure it is.

p.p.s. some of my favorite lurkers have come and gone already. Dang! Give it up, people.

p.p.p.s. I am a huge hypocrite as have been lurking all day.

17 comments:

Peace Turkey said...

Ahhh you live on the Cape. You lucky, lucky lady.

Kristin said...

I'm such a lame blogger I didn't even realize it IS National Delurking Day. Buncha freeloaders, those lurkers.

Sturdy Girl said...

Ok, i'm delurking, but I have dark glasses on...

Debbie said...

I haven't ever been known to keep my mouth, or fingers, quiet so I am not a lurker! But I did want to say hi anyway.

Fred said...

I sure ain't no lurker - hell, I was one of your first two subscribers and I've commented plenty, but I'll speak up again (quel surprise, I know) and say thanks for writing your blog - I love reading it!

Also, thanks for clueing me in to National Delurking Day - I had no idea it was today or even that it exists (though I can't say I'm surprised it does). I should post something, too, because I'm still stuck at only two subscribers and I *know* there are more people who read my blog than that!

Ooo ... my "word verification" today is "sanati". I like that "word" - is it really a word? What does it mean? What SHOULD it mean?

Lisa said...

Yay for delurking day! I'm not a lurker, but I'll comment anyway of course. I can't remember when I first de-lurked here, but I know I had been reading for a bit beforehand. I have a few faithful lurkers, and I'd love to know who they are!

Kristen said...

Caught lurking! Susan, this is Kristen who used to work at Left Bank and babysat Lucy...you might know me by my code name "Di-Dis"...(as Lulu used to call me :)

LOVE the blog!!

Tara said...

Ok, you got me to de-lurk. I am a freeloader and fully admit it.

mjcasual said...

While I feel your pain (or at least I have now read about it), I don't regard 'lurking' (and yes, I did have go to dictionary.com to see what the fuss was about) as any sort of politically incorrect or rude activity.
To the contrary, I have a few situations in my life where a little more lurking and a little less commentary on the part of some would be a good thing.
I have endeavored to restrict my active participation here at the virtual Trout Towers to pithy comments born of whatever inspiration I can muster up these days. Maybe I feel about this the way Kinky Friedman does about religion when he describes himself as a "Jehovah's Bystander": he believes, but he doesn't want to get involved.
I would hope you take it as a compliment that every morning I start my day with a visit to virtual Trout Towers after I make a cup of coffee and visit
www.theanimalrescuesite.com (which everyone should do - check the site & see why; www.freerice.com is another worthy [and humbling] effort).
The fact that I have no thoughts worth sharing about laundry does not diminish my enjoyment of your writing or the esteem in which I hold you.
And this 'lurking' thing, now that you've got me going...what's up with that, anyway? I've been really nice to you - I've posted none of my standard caustic comments about opera, for example. This isn't lurking. Lurking (in the virtual world, anyway) sounds like something associated with sites about Russian MILFs or whatever (or so I hear...).
Of course if your desire is for more blather like this and less lurking, I could be bribed with some more of that Pomegranate Salsa (speaking of recipes that should be posted).
P.S. I always check Fred's blog as well.

Susan said...

Peace Turkey - yep, it's true.

Kristin - I didn't know either until I started my morning reading, and then I leapt at the chance.

Sturdy - I wouldn't recognize you without them!

Debbie - hi!

Fred - glad to help get you up to speed! And thank you for getting the following ball rolling.

Lisa - And I continue to lurk at your place, too!

Di-Dis! First, congratulations to you & Darcy! I hope everything is great in your world. Lulu and I were just talking about you the other day and wondering what you were up to. Lurking, as it turns out. Keep it up.

Tara - ha! Freeload any old time!

MJCasual - Caustic comments about opera?!?! I should count my blessings, it seems. Thank you for being here.

Celia said...

I don't even know how to track blog traffic. You are 15 giant steps ahead of me.

Bella said...

take note in your sidebar. i don't lurk, i am a follower. a dedicated one at that. i have to live vicariously. my existence without flying is quite limiting.

neb said...

i follow or subscribe or lurk or whatever...just keep it up.

JAbel said...

In honor of National delurking day I went into the office today on a Monday and they asked me who the hell I was.My word for this post is padstre and now I'm thinking about Thai Food.Just to drop it in it was 88 today in L.A.

Lisa said...

Hiya! Am I a lurker if I sometimes comment? What all constitutes lurking, I wonder?

Lisa said...

Also, I realize I'm a day late. I apologize for belated delurking.

Mary Alice said...

Hi! Tee hee...something I said as gospel? Gosh I feel my head swelling!