‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

chaos theory

You wouldn't know it from looking at my house, but I do not handle chaos well. Which is too bad, really.

People who thrive in chaos can be so darn creative. They're not always trying to rein it in and are happier living right on the edge. Musicians, artists, entrepreneurs - they often do well in chaotic conditions.

We were talking today about ski instructors. My friend overheard a discussion about the merits of teaching kids to ski in control versus teaching them to go for it. If they are taught to always be in control, will they have what it takes to tackle the extremes?

In dance, and in art, I've always felt that mastering technique first is the way to do it. Then you can go wherever the spirit moves you with a solid foundation under you. Picasso, for example, did this. Talk about skiing the extremes.

For the last 9 months I've been writing for a paper that skis the extremes. It's been a wild ride and I've loved pretty much every minute of it. But when it comes right down to it, I can't handle the chaos. Some people love having a whole pile of balls in the air and get a kick out of juggling them. Me? I just see a bunch of things about to fall on my head.

I have just broken up with an inanimate object and I feel a little wrung out. Wrung out, but finally back in control. And I think it's going to be okay.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

I totally hear where you're coming from. I'm the same way.

Kristin said...

I hate chaos. Hate noise, hate disorder, hate disorganization, hate being late.

It appears I may have some issues.

TwoBusy said...

Good for you.

Anonymous said...

as an artist, i like to think there is a difference between the synthesizing of different ideas, objects, aspects of life etc. that allow for a "chaos" of a free-spirited, open-minded creativity vs. simple disorganization, lack of direction and inability to follow-through. in fact, the more i think about it, i think it takes a lot of often calm, introspective space and long-term dedication to work through creative problems and persevere to make great work.

-erica

Dana's Brain said...

"I just see a bunch of things about to fall on my head."

Amen, sister. Amen.