‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Monday, April 20, 2009

The Audition

My nephew, who up until yesterday I considered to be the scourge of the family due to his dalliances in musical theater, is touring colleges. He's looking at schools that specialize in such things as vocal training.

During his interview at one chosen college, he asked about the audition cd he needed to include with his application. Should he go to a studio? Have it professionally done? She shook her head no. "Unless you have an uncle with a recording studio, there's no need," she said.

We are so handy to have around.

At some point during his tour, my nephew took an interest in studying opera. Opera! He makes his aunt so proud. But why, sweet child? Why this sudden interest? Could it be that my candlelight incantations and subliminal whisperings are finally working?

No. Apparently there is good money to be had as an opera singer. This is good news for those of us who are hoping to be supported by a famous opera singer sometime in the future.

It was very handy he told me this revelation when he did, because The Audition was showing yesterday and I had no one to go with. Besides, I figured it might help him hit the big time a little sooner. All that insider information has to be some use, right?

I would tell you all about the movie (a documentary about the National Council auditions at the Metropolitan Opera), but the rest of the family is watching 24 and I'm only working on half a brain here.

The Audition is the start of a whirlwind Trout Geek Fest. It will be thrilling, believe me. Museums! More museums! Extra school for the kids! I will tell you all about it. But now? I must know what happens on 24.

(What is this show, anyway? Can someone fill me in?)

Yours truly, the not-quite-Amish blogger who has never seen 24.

6 comments:

Laggin said...

Congrats on ridding yourself of a scourge. That's always important, even if you must talk smack about *musical theatre* (there is music representing angels in the back of my head as I type this).

Kristin @ Going Country said...

It's, like, a spy show or something? Or maybe a police show? I think there's lots of fighting and things blowing up, anyway.

Not that I've ever seen it myself, but I've seen the ads, so I, of course, know everything about it.

Celia said...

I have never seen 24 either.

Susan said...

Laggin - I must. I don't know why, but I must talk smack about musical theater. It is a force greater than me.

Kristin - At first I thought you were talking about The Audition and I figured I must have slept through the blowing stuff up part. Which would have been disappointing.

Celia - From my limited experience, Kristin pretty much nailed it.

TwoBusy said...

I'd watch The Audition if it featured more blowing stuff up. And nudity! Mutant sharks are also a plus. Does it have naked mutant sharks blowing stuff up?

Dana's Brain said...

For a minute there I thought you were talking about a totally freaky Japanese horror flick called "Audition". Which I have not seen and probably never will.

Nor have I seen 24. We watched one episode I think in the very beginning but that was it.