‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

what's the story

My friend Greg mentioned on his gardening blog that he had started his morning glories indoors. Not to be outdone, I started mine, too.

They came up quickly and have continued to grow magnificently. A little too magnificently, in my opinion. They are taking over the livingroom. They are starting to scare me.

So I emailed Greg and asked when it was safe to evict them. The answer was not what I hoped for. He had put his out and now they are dead. He suggested I wait and just plant the seeds outside like any normal person.

Hahahaha! Like any normal person!

Ahem.

I took one sacrificial seedling outside to see how it would go. I planted it, and stepped back to watch it get pummeled by a gentle breeze. It lay quietly on the ground, a mere shadow of its former self. So I went and got one of the many, many, many windows Chris keeps stacked up around the house.

Don't ask.

The one I picked is a small storm window, perfect for an impromptu cold frame thingy. I propped it up and waited to see the morning glory spring back to life. It didn't. But I figure the window will protect it from some cold and some wind and really, it's a morning glory, not a pansy. Even the pansies are outside doing just fine right now. I'm not pointing any fingers here, but what's pansier than a pansy?

Chris saw what I had done and made some comment about all the stacks of windows and how I'm always coming home from the dump with windows and whatnot for my little gardening projects.

"Oh zip it," I said.

"Oh zip it!" said Studley. "Oh zip it! Zip it! Zip it! Zip it!"

Tomorrow at school should be interesting.

12 comments:

Celia said...

When we had a balcony we planted morning glories and moonflowers so there would always be something blooming. It was delicious to go out at night and see a luscious moonflower opening.

Morning glories are one of my favorites. I think I would have done the same as you.

I imagine they have quite taken over your household.

The Whispering Poppies said...

I remember well you once speaking of the window-stash outside. Do you remember? We were comparing notes on our spouses growing collections of shtuff? I'm going to start charging my man a storage fee on anything outside that is not growing from the ground, or is not owned by anyone under the age of 15! =)

Lesha said...

When all we had around our house in NC was red clay dirt, the morning glories were the first thing to come up and really take hold. It surprises me to hear they are such wussies. Pansier then a Pansy. *giggle*

JAbel said...

I don't think Morning Glories transplant well which is amazing since they grow like weeds on steroids.The moonflowers are beautiful but I've only had a 50-50 rate of getting them to bloom and that in sunny Calif.

Janine said...

I kill everything. I have no one but myself to blame.

Bella said...

at least your child isn't running around saying that something is a f***ing pain in her ass. (thank you Will) thank goodness that wasn't part of a school conversation.

Greg said...

Actually, Dearest, homophobics the world over (OBVIOUSLY I don't include you in this grouping) are always shocked and dismayed to discover that there are few plants hardier than the delicate-looking pansy.

They are the first plant you can put outside every year - some even plant them in the fall for early spring blooms.

Morning glories aren't NEARLY as hardy. Still, I wish you luck with your seedlings. A cold frame might protect them until last frost comes around Memorial Day...but good luck keeping them untangled.

; )

Susan said...

Celia - I love moonflowers!

Whispering Poppies - Yes, I remember that. Survivors of family packrats, unite!

Lesha - I know! That's why I tried it in spite of my friend's warning. Pansies.

Jabel - I'll let you know how it goes. I seem to do that, even if no one asks.

Janine - And that stops you from blaming others?

Bella - Chris (chuckling): "oooooh, Will is in TROUBLE."

Anonymous said...

BTW, sorry for the bad example about starting morning glories early. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Ms Picket To You said...

listen, i just told my sweet peas and honey suckle to officially zip it.

Susan said...

Ms. Picket - I told my sweet peas, my honeysuckle AND my pickling cukes to zip it.

Greg - It's true - the ones I know are pretty hardy. And thank goodness! It's nice to have them around for some color and flair. Wait, what are we talking about again? ;)

Laggin said...

I LOVE morning glories. I miss my falling down old fence where I used to plant them. Now I have no appropriate place.