‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, May 9, 2009

religion, white bread and other unspeakable subjects

The definition of "cult," according to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, is:

  1. Formal religious veneration
  2. A system of religious beliefs and ritual; also: its body of adherents;
  3. A religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also: its body of adherents;
  4. A system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator;
  5. Great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book).
The religion I grew up in, while completely white-bread in most respects, has been called a cult. The dance class I go to has been called a cult because people are kind of ga-ga over the director. I liked that "She Sells Sanctuary" song by The Cult in the '90s.

Hey, speaking of white bread. A member of our family can't eat whole wheat, so we buy some white bread. Stop judging me. I woke up the other morning to Studley saying "I made peanut butter sandwiches for everyone." He had used the white bread and no one wanted to eat it. So we gave it to the chickens. Who wouldn't eat it.

And speaking of cults and white bread, there's a religious community near here that runs a restaurant (see, I told you I had a weakness). I read their pamphlets when I'm in there and one of the things they talked about is how rats, given the choice, will eat whole grain bread and ignore the white bread.

I have no idea what that has to do with anything. Maybe that most of us at Trout Towers don't like white bread and therefore we are rats?

At one point I thought about getting my masters in divinity. I know, you had no idea. I have many such secrets up my sleeve. I didn't pursue it because what you study in the process of earning a degree in divinity is not what I wanted to learn. I was just noodling around with more dictionary stuff and the definition of divinity kind of nailed it. The degrees are about the study of religion. I wanted to learn about the state of being divine. I am sure that if you studied many different world religions, you would learn what it is to be divine.

When I went to the monastary in upstate New York, the Zen teacher observed that some people make a religious practice of seeking out religious practices.

I think I'd rather keep an eye out for everyday religious experiences - like planting gifted lemon balm, making a new friend at an airport, and eating brownies.

8 comments:

Tiny Dancer said...

I considered spending 6 months at the monastery of Eat, Pray, Love (I took is as a challenge to find out which one it was). And this is obviously NOT when I was young, but 6 months ago.

I think we should all embrace the term cult. It would take the sting out of it. Like when they all stood up and said, "I am Spartacus."

Zip n Tizzy said...

"planting gifted lemon balm, making a new friend at an airport, and eating brownies"
-Now that's divine.

Rats are very intelligent creatures. Sounds like you have that in common as well.

Janine said...

if you study many religions you simply find out they aren't that different.

But i too like to find the divine in the everyday.

Today my shoes, for example, are truly divine

Janine said...

ps. blog is public now. Stop on over.

Dana's Brain said...

I was just talking about religion with my sister and Mom today. And our lack there-of. I could totally get behind a cult of eating brownies - so let me know if you start that one!

Debbie said...

How fascinating that is that some make a religious practice out of seeking out religions. I can see that but I hadn't ever thought of it before.

Anonymous said...

Well Debbie,

it´s like going to the store and only then start looking to see what kind of food you need (brownies probably).

G

Lisa said...

I would totally join your brownie-eating cult. Any day.