‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Saturday, June 13, 2009

a three hour tour

Sailing lessons are coming along smashingly.

Our boats have not been released from the dock yet, but don't let that fool you. I am a total natural at sailing. You should see the cut of my jib.

My sailing buddy and I successfully rigged the boat in the comfort and safety of the parking lot last week. I say "comfort and safety," but if I may be honest here, if and when you get brained by the boom, wouldn't you rather be thrown into the water than onto pavement? Maybe it's a personal preference thing. I thought we should go ahead and wear our life vests, for padding.

I figured rigging the boat would be easy, especially since they gave us a handy checklist of things to do before setting sail. I can do anything if there's a checklist involved.

Item one: "step aboard carefully." See? How hard can this be?

And then the list says, "slack off sheet and vang, clew to outhaul, foot in boom track, tack pin in, tension foot."

This reminds me of when I was first learning how to read chapter books. I especially remember reading Stuart Little. When I read, I skipped over the words I didn't understand, and figured out what they meant from the context. I may not have gotten them all right, but I got the idea.

With this in mind, here's my reading of the above: "slack off sheet and, to, foot in, in, foot."

Maybe it will get better? I read on: "Feel along luff, secure halyard to head, start in mast track. Jib on forestay, tack to stem plate, halyard on head board, No Twists!"

It is safe to say I am in big trouble.

So we did what anyone would do who hadn't done their homework: cheat. We graciously allowed the couple standing next to us to go first. And then we watched very carefully. You know, to make sure they did it right.

And wouldn't you know, it's easier to do than to type. I still don't know what half those words are, but I do know how to get the sails up. We even got to try it with the boat in the water, and nobody fell off.

So speaking of Stuart Little (because I often am), remember the scene in the movie where he sails in Central Park and wins the race for his new brother, George? That's totally going to be us next week. Except we are taller and we don't sound like Alex Keaton.

9 comments:

Celia said...

I loved that book.

That sailing talk sounds like sports talk to me. I just go off in a happy place in my head and check back once in a while to see if the conversation had turned to food.

Try typing it into Googlefish. It will likely translate into "take the blue thingy and tie it in the most complicated knot EVER.

Then drink a beer.

Grab that deelie over there and drag it out of the water.

Then drink a beer.

Look meaningfully at your husband til he understands he must hoist that hook-a-majig over that box thing.

Then drink a beer while he sings you a shanty.

Apply some sunscreen.

Take a nap.

Go home and eat some chips. "

Janine said...

I don't think you should use your speed reading skills in this instance.

Hit 40 said...

Sailing lessons sound fabulous!!! I will have to ponder this for the summer. And from a previous post...

I like your friend cat!!! Good buddy to have with her freebies. Excellent.

Peace Turkey said...

You had me at "jib."

Hit 40 said...

Your allowed to stay and comment if you would like :-)

I have a lot of chatty followers who you can meet.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Shortly after we met, my husband remarked about someone, "I don't like the cut of his jib." First I had to ask him what the bloody hell he was talking about. Then I had to question WHY he uses phrases that fell out of fashion in popular speech around 1600.

Weirdo.

TwoBusy said...

I was always under the impression that "feel along luff" was a third date kind of thing.

LiLu said...

"The cut of my jib"? Sounds dirty... ;-)

Debbie said...

I love that Stuart Little too!