‎"...a little 'trouty', but quite good" ~ Eve Kendall, North By Northwest

Friday, June 5, 2009

time flies

Today I negotiated the terms of my release.

Sugarplum offered to let me nap on the couch for a full 20 minutes, if I made her popcorn when I was done. The deal was struck. I snuggled up and watched as Sugarplum stopped herself from talking a mile a minute. This was not easy for her.

I closed my eyes and thought even pretending to be asleep would be, well, dreamy.

Soon I heard elephantine tippy-toeing, followed by Beethoven's Piano Sonata #14 at a pleasantly low volume. This kid really, really wants her popcorn.

A few minutes later, I heard someone breathing very close to my face. She didn't want to wake me, so she stood about 6 inches away until I noticed she was there. She was holding a note:

10 comments:

Dana's Brain said...

That is really one of the best stories ever. I love the note. That must be some great popcorn!

Rose Brier Studio said...

That is so sweet. I hope you keep the note forever!
~Marilee

Bella said...

wish i could negotiate for that one more minute. i managed to close my eyes for 30 seconds this afternoon. quite sure i would not recognize Sugarplum anymore but anytime you want to send her my way to rub off on my girls....feel free.

Laggin said...

A. She can spell. Bravo, mama!

B. Popcorn IS really, really yummy.

Lisa said...

That is adorable. And I love popcorn and my mama, and I can totally understand her impatience.

This also reminded me of this linguistics professor I had years ago, who used to love to say "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

That's such a cute story! And because teacher me can't let this one go, her printing is lovely, especially with no lines to guide her.

TwoBusy said...

There is nothing in that little story that isn't wonderful.

Zip n Tizzy said...

I love when they hover over you, not wanting to bother you, but how can you not open your eyes.
Z always follows the hover with, "Mama? You awake?"

Charlotte said...

I think my heart broke just a little. That is too sweet!

Anonymous said...

Sooo supersweet! What a lovely girl you have. Mine also surprises me every now and then with something ultrasweet and sometimes brings tears to my eyes out of pure happiness.

G